• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch paranoia?

older-codger

No - not a comment on pitch-in itself, or the need for a new pitch.

I do wonder though whether all the talk about the poor state of the pitch is getting to the players and making them think it's worse than it is. Personally, I doubt whether it has deteriorated so much over the past 12 months to change us from a "passing team at premiership standard" (opposing manager comments - not mine) to the way that the players now appear to be afraid to do anything other than hoof it to the front whether or not there is anyone near where it is being hoofed.

I remain to be convinced that it can be any worse than the Cat and Fiddle where they are traing all week. The players we have are capable of a better standard of passing football than they are currently dislaying. Maybe they need to get over the mind set that the pitch is poor and play in the way they are capable of doing.

Last edited:

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
there are plenty of poorer pitches in league 2 etc,

also I am of the opinion that a better pitch will work against us, we are not as good a footballing side as Tisdale seems to think, visiting teams will enjoy it more

manc grecian

The ptich isnt great everyone knows that but the players dont look like they know what theyare meant to be doing.

To often they are getting rid of the ball when they could take a touch yet when we get near the box we overplay and end up losing the ball. Neither are anything to do with the pitch, just a lack of ideas.

ecfcok88

I do wonder though whether all the talk about the poor state of the pitch is getting to the players and making them think it's worse than it is.
this could not have been more evident yesterday. where is the patient build up and domination of possesion that made us hard to beat at home? when we started playing football against carlisle in the second half we scored 2, how different was the pitch yesterday to that or the saints game?

dommers

The pitch has been very poor for the past 2 home games.

wemissmoxey

and what would have happened on a better pitch against Southampton

dommers

I don't know? Although I'm sure you're are going to speculate that we'd have lost.

wemissmoxey

personally I would have thought a better pitch would suit Southampton a lot more than us,

would you disagree with that ?

dommers

I don't know. I thought we'd get stuffed by Leeds and beat Stockport, I expect like many others. So what do we know?

wemissmoxey

the pitch against Leeds was poor, possibly helping us against a better footballing side