• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pierce Sweeney

In a word, mobility. In defence Sweenz can see everything in front of him and can set himself accordingly which nullifies the mobility issue. In midfield the game is all around you and his lack of mobility would be exposed.
Correct - the stats that our centre midfield players put in every week showing the miles covered etc would not suit him in fairness!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
In defence Sweenz can see everything in front of him and can set himself accordingly which nullifies the mobility issue.
It doesn't, at times his lack of mobility gets exposed when he is playing at the back.

During the last week Sweeney is generally getting bigged up because of what he has done at the other end of the pitch, i.e. he is one of the best crossers of the ball at the club.

You don't need to be massively mobile to play in midfield in league 2, whether Sweeney could do a job in midfield is another question.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
In a word, mobility. In defence Sweenz can see everything in front of him and can set himself accordingly which nullifies the mobility issue. In midfield the game is all around you and his lack of mobility would be exposed.
He might be able to see everything In front of him but from the RB position he still has a risky cross field pass in him which can be intercepted by an attacker.
I was thinking that (if he had to) he could play in the Sercombe role : driving forward and having a smack at goal, for instance.
Obviously he's not a thinker a la Law, but he's got a bit of power and speed and can
shoot a bit . I'm sure he wouldn't let the team down if called upon to do that

grecIAN Harris

It doesn't, at times his lack of mobility gets exposed when he is playing at the back.
In general terms it does. Even Rio Ferdinand or Des Walker, two of the quickest central defenders in the Premier League, got caught out occasionally. Either way it still highlights the issue he would have playing in midfield.

grecIAN Harris

He might be able to see everything In front of him but from the RB position he still has a risky cross field pass in him which can be intercepted by an attacker.
I was thinking that (if he had to) he could play in the Sercombe role : driving forward and having a smack at goal, for instance.
Obviously he's not a thinker a la Law, but he's got a bit of power and speed and can
Indo, have you been on The Chimps nuts? You're getting delusional now.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regarding whether Sweeney stay or goes, Matt Taylor will decide whether he is what he wants from a defensive point of view, obviously at the start of this season Taylor had seen enough of him however circumstances dictated that Sweeney get more opportunities.

He has had a decent season however if we really want to kick on as a club is he the best option ? Taylor will decide.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
In general terms it does. Even Rio Ferdinand or Des Walker, two of the quickest central defenders in the Premier League, got caught out occasionally. Either way it still highlights the issue he would have playing in midfield.
I've seen Sweeney done like a kipper loads of times due to his lack of mobility, he cannot hide at the back and get away with it.

If we went into league 1 he would get exposed left, right and centre as a defender.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney has not got speed.

If he ever played higher up the pitch all you would want him to do is get crosses in.

You don't need to be massively mobile to play in midfield in league 2, whether Sweeney could do a job in midfield is another question.
[/QUOTE]
?? The nature of the game in league 2 where most teams launch the ball forward at the earliest opportunity means that the midfield players end up running far more (having mobility) than if it was a possession based game.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Time will tell. If (and it's a huge if) Stubbs plays all or most of next season injury free and is as good as people are hoping, Sweeney would not get many games but would be a very decent backup and a good choice if we play a back 3 away.

More to the point, I can't see us signing anyone better than him unless we are in L1 and can afford L1 wages.