• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Phill Thompson on soccer Saturday..........

grecianboyy

Phill Thompson on Soccer Saturday,slammed us with his quote "You call that a derby" after Jeff Stelling mentioned the game he replied with "You call that a derby" it's not a big thing i know but i just want to know if anyone else heard it and it's just a bit disrespectful.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't hear it but always thought he's a ****

grecianboyy

It was just before or around half time i think,if you can find it look it up because it's just such a ****ish thing to do.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
That scouse accent of his gets on my tits. Carragher's the same... Cant understand a word he says. Why has the whole world got to try and make sense of the way they talk? Shouldnt be allowed.

Last edited:

grecianboyy

Hahaha amen.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was just before or around half time i think,if you can find it look it up because it's just such a ****ish thing to do.
You must have very little to get worked up about if you let this bother you...Besides, he has a point, it's hardly a Derby in the same way that Liverpool v Everton Rangers v Celtic or Spurs v Arsenal is a Derby....

grecianboyy

Like i said it's not a big thing,but its still disrespectful.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
He isn't wrong if you go back to how the word Derby came about:

The phrase most likely originated from The Derby, a horse race in England, founded by the 12th Earl of Derby in 1780, since at least as early as 1840 'derby' has been used as a noun in English to denote any kind of sporting contest. The current Earl of Derby has confirmed that his family gave their name to only two sporting events; The Horse Race and the Rugby League match between St. Helens and local rivals Wigan.

Phill Thompson on Soccer Saturday,slammed us with his quote "You call that a derby" after Jeff Stelling mentioned the game he replied with "You call that a derby" it's not a big thing i know but i just want to know if anyone else heard it and it's just a bit disrespectful.
put him in red and white and bung him in the Argyle end, or put him in green and bung him in the City end, at any City v Argyle game, and he will find out if its a passionate derby or not!

what a ****

Last edited:

Chui

The current definition of a Westcountry derby on Wikipedia at the time I write this is a game between Bristol Rovers and Torquay. Can't say that's the one that immediately springs to mind for me. Not that Wikipedia is ever trolled of course.

Stupid comment if he did say that. Derbies like ours, Hartlepool - Darlo (former incarnation, but if the new one makes it back to the league, that'll be tasty) or Chesterfield-Mansfield are no less intense that bigger derbies purely because fewer fans are involved.

Unlike the Old Infirm derby you might hear some football related chants rather than political or religious claptrap spouted by halfwitted bigoted morons.