• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Peterborough United v Exeter City match day thread

Mid Devon Grecian

ferguson quotes such as - nobody going to care about anything other than the result and quite rightly so and the bit where he highlights our glaring defieciency in CM where he says because we play with only two in there that was where he aimed to expose us. Pretty much highlights for me the problem that has been blindingly obvious that until or unless we play with 3 centrally we get overrun and as soon as we are turned over we invariably concede a goal. This is the bit that annoys me with GC as this is happening time and time again yet he refuses to change something opposition managers are clearly using as a tactic against us.

The interviewer needed to have switched on his mic though as it was funny to watch him speaking into a mic with no sound level
Imagine a parallel universe where we’ve come away yesterday with a 2-1 win.

Ferguson’s interview goes something like this “well fair play to Exeter we thought they’d set up as they always do but their manager tweaked the midfield to add another body in there. We had to rethink our game plan at the last minute and the lads just didn’t quite overcome that adjustment”

#thingsyou’llneverhear

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Imagine a parallel universe where we’ve come away yesterday with a 2-1 win.

Ferguson’s interview goes something like this “well fair play to Exeter we thought they’d set up as they always do but their manager tweaked the midfield to add another body in there. We had to rethink our game plan at the last minute and the lads just didn’t quite overcome that adjustment”

#thingsyou’llneverhear
I did like some of the things he mentioned about our tactics of the high press and particularly how we overloaded certain areas of the pitch. I didn't go yesterday but did last season when we looked hopelessly out of our depth against this lot. Would be interesting to hear from anyone that went this time and last year as to whether there was visible improvement one year on. I get it's only one game and one opposition but nerd that I am .......

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Or maybe it was nothing to do with the tactics and simply that Peterborough were able to bring a higher quality of players off the bench. Jade-Jones and Clarke-Harris would walk into most starting elevens in League 1 and I would guess are on wages considerably higher than we would be able to justify paying.
So we were defeated before we even began?

The mighty Wycombe put 5 past this football juggernaut a few weeks ago

This response to any criticism of approach in League One is getting tiresome

We were containing them well before the changes. It’s actually partly a positive if you think about it. I’ve already said Peterborough raised their game and deserved credit for that - but - we didn’t deal with it well at a crucial moment.

Of course when we were then losing we started to throw more at it, looking like a more interesting attacking side. Standard.

I’ve not been convinced about GC’s subs all year

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
In the last two games when the opposition have made subs or changed their approach we haven’t , the classic its league one its hard story line hardly holds much weight when your talking about football heavyweights like Fleetwood (been in league one for 10 years) or Peterborough (been in league one for 10 years now)

There isn’t enough flexibility or change in our approach to match opposition teams when they change formations or style of play during the 90 mins.

We play “possession” football regardless of the situation and hope to ride out tough spells in games - sadly we don’t score enough to be able to take that chance and as soon as we let 1 in we dont adapt or react IMO.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Duncan Ferguson on the win

Now there was me thinking that "Bìg Dunc" was managing Caledonian Thistle after being sacked by the Vegans ? :cool:

Antony Moxey

Trevitt appears a very good prospect shame what happened to him with respect to his injury.
On 14 July 2023, Trevitt joined League One club Exeter City on a season-long loan. A starter during the first half of the season when fit, Trevitt's performances and three goals in October 2023 won him the club's Player of the Month award. His brace in a 3–2 EFL Cup fourth round defeat to Middlesbrough on 31 October was recognised with a nomination for the competition's Player of the Round award. On 3 January 2024, Trevitt underwent surgery on an ankle injury suffered during a 2–0 defeat to Cambridge United on 22 December 2023. He was recalled by Brentford five days later and finished the loan with 23 appearances five goals and three assists.
You know we know all this already, right?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Now there was me thinking that "Bìg Dunc" was managing Caledonian Thistle after being sacked by the Vegans ? :cool:
I thought the name was wrong 🙂

gbjpc

I did like some of the things he mentioned about our tactics of the high press and particularly how we overloaded certain areas of the pitch. I didn't go yesterday but did last season when we looked hopelessly out of our depth against this lot. Would be interesting to hear from anyone that went this time and last year as to whether there was visible improvement one year on. I get it's only one game and one opposition but nerd that I am .......
last year we were shocking! This year much better and at half time I was even optimistic that we’d win. Second half we were poor but Posh have some very good players and their changes worked better than ours. How I wish Archie had been playing for us.

as last year the atmosphere from the home fans was non existent. I queried this with a mate (I live in Peterborough) and he suggested it’s the London Road acoustics.

Prof MAB

I got there this year but not last year. I actually enjoyed the game! We were caught with a sucker punch on their first attack (after we dominated the first few minutes and nearly scored) with a 'cold' defence caught by a scrappy goal. Fought our way back with a deserved equalizer, if a great looping lucky defection. Second half, injuries? (I hope not) meant multiple substitutions and we needed time to settle. They scored just before this with a good clean goal. Then pretty end to end but we put pressure on them and their home fans were even whistling for time towards the end! So close with that final header. I didn't find our style boring at all, only we need goal scorers - Alli might be the one. I thought had more to him than Mo.

Papa John

Happy 19th birthday Luke Harris. Have a great day at training. All of your supporters are hoping for a senior wales squad call up your hard work on the pitch deserves it 💪