• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford united -v- Exeter City checkatrade trophy official match day thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Highlights

[video=youtube;F11mcFvPBzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F11mcFvPBzo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F11mcFvPBzo

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know if it's been mentioned before (as I can't be bothered to trawl back through the whinging and bitching) whilst you're all bangning on about Tis naming himself on the bench, I read Gareth Ainsworth did the same and even had the audacity to put himself on for five minutes at the end.

rp42

Bobby beaten by 2 long range shots and the 3rd goal he pulls his hand away from:$

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I don't know if it's been mentioned before (as I can't be bothered to trawl back through the whinging and bitching) whilst you're all bangning on about Tis naming himself on the bench, I read Gareth Ainsworth did the same and even had the audacity to put himself on for five minutes at the end.
Yes yes we all know that.

So thats two self-absorbed managers with an unrealistic sense of self-importance then...

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
True, but Wycombe did win. Believe Ainsworth got an assist as well. I don't think any manager should really be playing themselves however.

Thames Valley Red

I went to the game last night with four members of the TVR Clan at the game. Our support should be encouraged for supporting the players in a stadium that was like watching a Sunday league game. The players could hear everything and you could hear the dugouts. Our dugout was very quiet. As for the plank that started berate the team on about 70 minutes - really, the average age was about 19 at the end!!

So my thought:

Bobby - ok but could have done alittle better.

Defence - Oakley is spent and a liability at times, no pace and easily outpaced. Passing with ball good. CRL and Sweeney fine. Egan ok. James cant remember so poor.

Midfield - we lacked pace height and guile. Alex Byrne? was average and Grant was pretty dire for most of the game.

Forwards - Jay and Liam well done. I thought Liam was MOM given the lack of service and midfield. I wish Jay was 4 inches taller.

Others - Smallcombe quiet and the hefty young centre half was struggling (Dorey/Story/Corey?)

As for Oxford they played a fairly strong team and Liam Sercombe second half was dying to score...going off him now! :)

As for Ethan Amps had an average game and over played at times, midfield better position mind.

The kids were 6.5/10 the management team were missing in action, The getaway from the car park 10/10, nobody blanked the fans!

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gareth Ainsworth came on for Wycombe tonight at 43 and set up the 3rd goal....
Did he have to dash in and change out of his country gent attire - or was he kitted out as a proper sub from the start?

Antony Moxey

Yep - Minigrimes was given a pro contract in the summer but has since been released.
How bizarre - given a pro contract in the summer (it's still the summer now) then subsequently released? What's the story behind that then?

Saint James

How bizarre - given a pro contract in the summer (it's still the summer now) then subsequently released? What's the story behind that then?
He was on a short term deal possibly 3 or max 6 months. He has taken an option for a full time uni based course at Hartbury. For this to be possible he would have made the application back in January (UCAS deadline). At that point he wouldn't know he would be offered anything from the club. It could be that the lad himself made a judgement call that he was unlikely to be offered anything longer after a month of professional training and decided to take the uni course whilst still playing football at Hartbury to a good standard. Hartbury is the destination for many apprentices who fail to make the professional grade.