• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our Forward Line

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s a complete embarrassment of a line up

We will look back at this and laugh

And remember lads “don’t panic”
From the depths of League Two? Hopefully not the National league , the former will be bad enough and hard enough to get out of

denzel

Just a reminder that in 22 competitive games this season, there have been 3 goals from strikers.

Grecianman135

Went on the Cliff Hill tour this morning. Well
worth it.
AnywayI whilst I was there I was told on very good authority that we identified 25 strikers over the summer. For a variety of reasons, wages, location etc, only one decided to sign. We were gazumped at the last minute for him.
That's so concerning on so many levels...

Grecian Max

Your first sentence makes no sense Max. Anyone can be gazumped at the last minute because by definition, there is always a last minute in any deal. Therefore there is always the possibility of being gazumped. If everything is agreed and the player and agent is driving down to sign the contract and they get a phone call from another club saying we will offer you 20% more and a bigger signing on fee, or any number of other reasons...closer to home, bigger club, managed by an old manager they know and trust, they can come off at the next junction and turn around. It's happened to probably every club over the years. It probably happened dozens of times in the last transfer window.

Until the contract is signed by the player, you can always get gazumped. That is not in any clubs control.
I disagree big time with this. It was in the clubs control because the planning should have been better not to stretch it out for an entire summer.

My point (and always has been) is that we should have got in another as well, it shouldn’t have come down to the last week along with Admiral “goal machine” Muskwe It makes perfect sense to me.

Leaving getting that sorted until the last minute instead of using the budget wisely earlier on is a big error.”But no one wanted to sign” blah blah blah - plenty of other clubs have sorted themselves out well, if the budget isn’t there for a couple of forwards in League 1 then the club should go on the market asap because this fans run thing has hit the ceiling in the nosebleed territory of bottom third league one. Load of rubbish.

The apologists were out in force in September and they are now. Fine, give all the sympathy to the team, they did their best - maybe they did - but that best isn’t up to standard.

It’s a shitshow.

Last edited:
So, who might be some (realistic) targets for January? A more reasonable bid for Cardwell perhaps? Harris (!) from Fulham? Or someone fresh?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I disagree big time with this. It was in the clubs control because the planning should have been better not to stretch it out for an entire summer.

My point (and always has been) is that we should have got in another as well, it shouldn’t have come down to the last week along with Admiral “goal machine” Muskwe It makes perfect sense to me.

Leaving getting that sorted until the last minute instead of using the budget wisely earlier on is a big error.”But no one wanted to sign” blah blah blah - plenty of other clubs have sorted themselves out well, if the budget isn’t there for a couple of forwards in League 1 then the club should go on the market asap because this fans run thing has hit the ceiling in the nosebleed territory of bottom third league one. Load of rubbish.

The apologists were out in force in September and they are now. Fine, give all the sympathy to the team, they did their best - maybe they did - but that best isn’t up to standard.

It’s a shitshow.
I’m pretty much in agreement with this, and am finding it hard to believe we targeted 25 strikers. Surely if our ‘network’ is any good we’d have had a fair idea whether someone was open to coming here long before any negotiations took place. Plus, because it’s really the most important position that we were looking to fill when the window opened, that should have been the priority over anything else - there’s nothing to say you can’t have your business completed on day one of the window.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
The season we last got relegated from league one we had some proper stinkers
Daniel Nardiello
John O Flyn
Tom Nichols
Richard Logan
Jimmy Keohane

I'd take this over our current rosta of players who claim to be forwards.

JGrecian23

This is by far the worst group of 'forwards we have had in my time. I'd take Flack, Afful, anyone over them. Jesus I'd even even take Craig Farrell or Ben Watson!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster

It’s a shitshow.
It's been so obvious to so many of us since the day the transfer window closed. How people still dispute it perplexes me.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m pretty much in agreement with this, and am finding it hard to believe we targeted 25 strikers. Surely if our ‘network’ is any good we’d have had a fair idea whether someone was open to coming here long before any negotiations took place. Plus, because it’s really the most important position that we were looking to fill when the window opened, that should have been the priority over anything else - there’s nothing to say you can’t have your business completed on day one of the window.
Antony, before Nombe was sold we had a few debates about how easy/difficult it would be to replace him. I had a hunch we'd seriously struggle, you were optimistic that we'd found Nombe, so there was no reason we couldn't find another.

Did you expect the club to do better with its transfer strategy, or were you just hopeful that we'd get very lucky?