• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our fans are brilliant

Hux

Or "When the red red robin goes bob bob bobbing along... shoot the b*****d, shoot the b*****d, shoot, shoot shoot the b*****d".

Or "6'2 eyes of blue Jimmy Giles is after you"

And the never ending "Knees Up Mother Brown" and shove from the back that spilled everyone down the railway sleeper terrace. I blimmin' loved the Cowshed!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah, nice one Hux. How could I have overlooked that classic from the J Giles Banned - saw many a centerforward fold when faced with Giler in full flow.

Also reminded me of the ode we always sang when we had "guests" from the wrong side of the Bristol Channel
There'll be a welcome in the hillsides
There'll be a welcome in the dales
There'll be a welcome in the valleys
So **** off back to Wales

Hux

Or from the wrong end of the A38

"If I had the wings of a sparrow..."

And

"Brian Clough said to Bill Shankly..."

eurogrecian

S'right Mike, even as 'recently' as the early 80s recall a tin pot game at Pompey where I sat in the home end and there was one City fan stood on the Milton Road terrace in the pouring rain. Very funny to watch his version of 'You'll never walk alone', as he obviously did.

Fareham Grecian swears it was he too.

I reckon the away following started to grow in number throughout the Conference years, and has stayed with it since.
Slightly off-topic, but interesting subject.
I recall evening games in London in the early 1980s when you could count the City fans on your fingers. We had nearly 400 at Barnet the other week.
I think the arrival of the internet might have had something to do with the very significant rise in our away support. People get organized now.

Red Bill

Funny that G2K....all I can really remember is "Exeter City are magic.....weeee all agreeee" (which hasn't been heard in eons).
That's the one I remember too Pete!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly off-topic, but interesting subject.
I recall evening games in London in the early 1980s when you could count the City fans on your fingers. We had nearly 400 at Barnet the other week.
I think the arrival of the internet might have had something to do with the very significant rise in our away support. People get organized now.
The season before we got promotion in 1989/90 was when the away support started to grow. I think the legendary fanzine Exe Directory had a lot to do with that (I still have loads of issues of that fanzine today). I also remember games at Sheff Utd and Dony in the early 80s when there were no more than 20 or 30 of our fans there but since 1988 I think we've always had decent turnouts.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The season before we got promotion in 1989/90 was when the away support started to grow. I think the legendary fanzine Exe Directory had a lot to do with that (I still have loads of issues of that fanzine today). I also remember games at Sheff Utd and Dony in the early 80s when there were no more than 20 or 30 of our fans there but since 1988 I think we've always had decent turnouts.
Yeah, my first match was in 90/91 and most away matches I've been to even back then were well-attended, albeit pretty much all were in/around London so guaranteed a reasonable contingent, especially I guess after the Exiles were founded. That said, I remember when we played at Brentford in the Windscreen Wiper Trophy in the late 90s. My Dad and I up until around 10 minutes before KO were the only two in the away end - Foxy came over to us and said "Plenty of noise from you two tonight please!"

elginCity

Lived oop north in the late 90s/early 00s when we were struggling and don't recall more than around 30 at places like Scunthorpe, Hartlepool and Carlisle. Foxey/Blakey tenure.

Avening Posse

used to do regular minibus excursions with a crowd made up of Dawlish, Exmouth and St Thomas in the early to late 80's and aside from local games or cup matches there never seemed to be many away fans at the games. Great that has changed. More money about now probably, and certainly a lot less bovver

Avening Posse

used to do regular minibus excursions with a crowd made up of Dawlish, Exmouth and St Thomas in the early to late 80's and aside from local games or cup matches there never seemed to be many away fans at the games. Great that has changed. More money about now probably, and certainly a lot less bovver
forgot to mention, we were also bleddy rubbish away in those days (and pretty bad at home) which probably didn't help :)