• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Open meeting, or EGM?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Far more dangerous than a stupid person, is a stupid person who thinks they're clever.
Possibly, but probably of more use than someone who posts vacuous quotes....

Last edited:

Poultice

Far more dangerous than a stupid person, is a stupid person who thinks they're clever.
All stupid people think they are clever, it is intelligence that enables one to understand one's own shortcomings.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A petition is building, talk to Bondy and Northants Grecian and hear the frustration in their voices on the ability for a BOS committee to run our club. We need an elected board controlled by the Trust and accountable to it!
TVR
Al,

If you seriously believe I want the BoS to run the club, then you clearly wasnt listening last Saturday.

Adam

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
All stupid people think they are clever, it is intelligence that enables one to understand one's own shortcomings.
Not me, I know I'm stupid.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Did the club make a loss last year? If it did, was it significant, e.g. >£100k?

Are we heading for a significant loss this year? e.g. >£100k?

Can we have that information now please?

Simples.

Poultice

Al,

If you seriously believe I want the BoS to run the club, then you clearly wasnt listening last Saturday.

Adam
I don't think that was what he was trying to say Bill.

You gotta read between the rants with Al.

Poultice

Did the club make a loss last year? If it did, was it significant, e.g. >£100k?

Are we heading for a significant loss this year? e.g. >£100k?

Can we have that information now please?

Simples.
Er, yes, yes, no.

Simples.

Uh, ps. I'm not sure that 100k is necessarily significant, it would depend very much upon the nature of the loss.

Last edited:

hatch4england

EGM
Open meetigns are too easily stage-managed and manipulated. Plus, in an EGM you can call and carry votes!

However, if you ever expect a business to be properly run on the basis of control by what is (in effect) a popularity contest...dream on.

The problem is that not only is the Trust ineffectual, but the directors are self-electing as it were, so instead of people being there because they have proven talent and their area of expertise has been identified as crucial to the good running of the club, they're there because they're there.

Of course, anyone with any sense would avoid a football club board like the plague if they were properly accountable. Fans will never think things are good enough.

I was willing enough to dig deep when the club went on the rocks before, but I won't again.

southamptongrecian

Not me, I know I'm stupid.
Me to, I actually think ******** speaks sence.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Then what do we do if we consider someone to be overpaid. That is only our opinion for good or ill not that of PT. So I ask again what has been achieved? We are Trust owned and not Trust run. I believe that since its inception the BOS and its various members have done the best they could, probably they ought to been stronger in monitoring the achievements or otherwise of the Club Directors but who is to say that they have not done so or at least tried to do so. it is always easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise but the truth is that as in any business unless you sit at a persons desk you can have no idea either what that job entails or the hurdles they have to jump and frustrations they have to endure to enable them to do their jobs. There is no easy answer as a Trust we are still in the vanguard of the Football Trust movement and it may be that, as much as we want it to succeed and in so doing avoid the pitfalls of outside ownership, the simple fact is that businesses or not run by committees or in our case effectively two committees (BOS and Club Board) and the higher up the football pyramid we go the more difficult if not impossible the concept of a Trust run business will become.