• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will be interesting to see whether we get our money in instalments.
If he does go for the money stated I'd thought the sell on clause would say either a lump sum or instalments when we sold him to Brentford.

BerksBee

Apparently Villa agree a club record £28m deal
Well, the fee has been agreed in principle, personal and contract terms now need to be agreed as far as I know.

Villa missed out on a deal for a player and have moved swiftly to secure this one, which is why they've had to meet our valuation.

It'll be a shame to see him go, he's been a terrific player for the club but it was always likely to happen once we missed out on promotion. The fact we signed Toney was a pretty big hint that he might be off, but I'm sure we'd have kept both of them had our valuation not been met.

Smith is clueless at Villa and will probably be gone next season in my opinion as he simply hasn't got what it takes to be successful in the Premier league. It's no surprise he's constantly looking at our players as the ones Villa's scouting system have brought in have been failures. Smith was (relatively) successful at Brentford mainly because of our scouting and recruitment system, not because he's a particularly good manager and the same problems we had (conceding goals) is exactly the same problem Villa had last season and will have this coming season. His solution is to try and score more goals then they concede by buying a known striker in Watkins when in reality he needs to strengthen the defence.

How Watkins will get on in a different playing system remains to be seen. He scored lots of goals at Brentford because we create lots of chances, I'm not sure Villa do that.

In terms of his playing career he'd probably be better off staying where he is, but you can't blame him for wanting a move to a Premiership club, I just hope it works out for him. Villa may end up back in the Championship next year!

denzil

Now we can look at some forwards with "goalability" ?????????

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman has just asked for a new contract.

BerksBee

If he does go for the money stated I'd thought the sell on clause would say either a lump sum or instalments when we sold him to Brentford.
AFAIK all player payments are done in instalments. They're depreciated over the life of their contract. How a sell on fee is paid I don't know, I'd assume as a one off lump sum.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
28m here we go.........

GJW

Ollie Watkins potentially coming up against Ethan Ampadu, Villa v Sheffield. Utd. Should be a game to look out for.

GJW

28m here we go.........
I want my cut. Trust member and all that.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If this gets done today that at least gives Matt Taylor three days to strengthen the squad before the start of the league season. A half-decent centre-half would be a good start; apparently there’s at least one still looking for a club.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Announcement Tuesday apparently. Villa still hot favourites although Tottenham now second favourites and the odds of them signing him have reduced drastically over the past couple of days
I sincerely hope you haven’t put any of your children’s inheritance on a punt on that day. o_O
I'm rich!