• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ask 10 different valuers and you are likely to get 10 different valuations.
True but the alternative is worse and open to abuse. Agents and players also have incentives for the figures to be accuratec as their commissions and contract terms will be involved.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The way it looks at the moment in the Championship Brentford and Ollie's only way this season into the PL will be via the Play-Offs, WBA and Leeds seem to be pulling away in the auto's but it could change if those two drop like stones

BerksBee

Totally made up scenario and as DB says it would be probably against Brentford’s apparent way of doing things...
Accepting it's a hypothetical, but a couple of points:

I can't remember (if we've ever done it) the last time we've done that kind of deal (cash + player) in Benhams's ownership. i don't think it's ever happened. As someone else pointed out, it's just not how we do our business. We have one of the best scouting/recruitment setups in the EFL, why would we take another clubs castoff when we can recruit our own players cheaper? Doesn't make sense.

We wouldn't take Hogan back regardless, even on a free IMO. He just wouldn't fit in with our current playing style and his wages would be far more than we'd be prepared to pay.

Our owner is moral man, he wouldn't try and short change a smaller club out of their sell on fee. That's just how he is. He's a businessman and a tough negotiator, but he's not dishonest.

Part of our recruitment MO is picking up undervalued players from lower divisions. We wouldn't sour that relationship by manipulating a sell-on fee.

BerksBee

The way it looks at the moment in the Championship Brentford and Ollie's only way this season into the PL will be via the Play-Offs, WBA and Leeds seem to be pulling away in the auto's but it could change if those two drop like stones
Yep, sadly we've blown the auto's.

I always knew injuries would be the only thing that could derail our season and so it's happened. I think everyone feared an injury to the front three, but losing Jansson has weakened the defence significantly. Also the midfield has been short of first choice midfielders. It's one of the risks with our system, investing in young talented players and running a fairly small first team squad. We don't always have the experience/quality to replace first team injuries. But that's the way it has to be, our owner's first priority is to ensure the club is financially self sufficient.

Our history in the play-offs is about as bad as it gets—we've never won promotion through the play-offs. With a full strength squad, we've got as good a chance as anyone else, if not I personally can't see it happening.

If we don't get promotion this season, I can certainly see one or two of that front three leaving in the summer.

Colesman Ballz

The Sun are reporting that the "Hammers" are preparing a firm bid for Ollie, should Brentford not get promoted this season.

BerksBee

The Sun are reporting that the "Hammers" are preparing a firm bid for Ollie, should Brentford not get promoted this season.
Them and a host of Premiership clubs I suspect. The number of goals he's scored/will score this season will make them sit up and take notice. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he scores 30+ goals this season. Mitrovic is ahead at the moment, but it's worth pointing out I think, Mitrovic takes their penalties, Benrahma takes ours.

The big question in my mind and I'm sure in many on here as well is, will he go in the summer. Will he stay one more season to help us get into the Premiership (we've been getting closer year on year!) or will he move to the Premiership? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect it will come down to what club makes the right offer for him. He's a smart lad and I hope he holds out for a move to a top London club (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs) rather than a lower half London Prem club—Palace, West Ham, Watford. If the right offer comes along from the right club it will be hard to hang on to him.

Grecian2K

Why would he want to sign for another second-tier team next season?

Nickp

Just read that Ollie has been awarded the EFL player of the year.

Banksy

Kerching..............

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good for us but this award is ridiculously early. If Mitrovic scores shedloads more goals and fires Fulham into the PL but Ollie and Brentford fade away they will look silly.