• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
So it was, mea culpa.

Then we need him to tick off competitive start, friendly start and friendly sub; we might get 15% of £0.5 or £0.25m tonight, £75K or £37.5K. All adds up.
The wording of the City announcement (subsequently removed from the website, but which I've looked up) was ambiguous. It said Brentford were to receive sums for England appearances

' £1m *per* competitive start'

but then '500k for *a* sub appearance in a competitive game' '500k for *a* start in a friendly international' and '250k for *a* sub appearance in a friendly'

I have interpreted it differently to you. I think your interpretation (eg only one ever payment for a friendly start) is correct as a literal interpretation of the words used. I thought that each time the announcement said 'a' it meant 'per'. I thought this because a) the announcement starts with a 'per game' provision and b) a 'per game' provision was more natural (especially as there is an overall cap anyway) and I interpreted the subsequent use of 'a' as sloppy/imprecise/wrong.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The wording of the City announcement (subsequently removed from the website, but which I've looked up) was ambiguous. It said Brentford were to receive sums for England appearances

' £1m *per* competitive start'

but then '500k for *a* sub appearance in a competitive game' '500k for *a* start in a friendly international' and '250k for *a* sub appearance in a friendly'

I have interpreted it differently to you. I think your interpretation (eg only one ever payment for a friendly start) is correct as a literal interpretation of the words used. I thought that each time the announcement said 'a' it meant 'per'. I thought this because a) the announcement starts with a 'per game' provision and b) a 'per game' provision was more natural (especially as there is an overall cap anyway) and I interpreted the subsequent use of 'a' as sloppy/imprecise/wrong.
We can't be sure, of course, but my reading / assumption was that it was one payment for each of the four England possibilities, making a possible maximum of £2.25MK, plus £1M for each year in the PL until the total of of £5M is reached.

Happy to be corrected, of course.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
While I wouldn't take this as gospel, in my experience, The Athletic, is a far more reliable than some other news sources.

Brentford and Exeter to share £1m if Watkins wins England cap

Ollie Watkins will continue his fairytale rise when he joins up with the England squad today, his maiden international call-up recognition for the striker’s eye-catching debut season in the Premier League.

The 25-year-old moved to Aston Villa from Brentford last summer and has scored 12 goals in 31 appearances across all competitions, leading England manager Gareth Southgate to name him in his 26-man squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino, Albania and Poland.

Villa agreed a deal for Watkins worth £28 million, plus a potential £5 million more in add-ons, and The Athletic understands one of the areas covered by those extra payments is England appearances. Brentford stand to receive £1 million for each cap Watkins wins, up to a small number.

As with the initial transfer fee, 15 per cent of everything Brentford earn from Villa must be diverted to Exeter City, where Watkins started his career before joining the west London club in 2017 for £1.8 million. It means that each time Championship Brentford benefit financially from Watkins playing for England, League Two Exeter will be rewarded with £150,000 for their work in developing him.

Among the other bonuses negotiated by Brentford was related to Villa avoiding relegation from the top flight, they are 10th and already have the “magical” 41 points with 10 games still to play, which will secure them another £850,000 and Exeter an additional £150,000.

andrew p long

We can't be sure, of course, but my reading / assumption was that it was one payment for each of the four England possibilities, making a possible maximum of £2.25MK, plus £1M for each year in the PL until the total of of £5M is reached.

Happy to be corrected, of course.
here's what I dug up...post 649, penultimate post on page 13

I think that's reasonably clear that its £1m (150k to us) for each competitive England start and for each season that Villa stay in the Premiership.

Also clear that the cap on the total of these add ons is £5m (750k to us).

The rest is unclear....

andrew p long

on the bench tonight for England...

tonykellowfan

Southgate is a cr+p manager but ticks the boxes for being "a nice bloke" and uncontroversial. He has no clue about team section or tactics, so it doesn't really matter who he picks in the end
Reaching the WC semis was a fluke : as soon as we came up against anybody decent, we lost. It will be the same in the Euros. We're not smart enough, don't pass the ball quickly enough, aren't streetwise , and don't move or interchange positions enough.
Boring bloke and boring, predictable football. It will be the same old sad story
PS. This is not about Ollie : that was a hope, not an expectation
You really are a misery aren't you Indo? I'm surprised you can get out of bed in the morning.

I personally enjoyed the world cup run, the team definitely exceeded expectations.

We have a good mix of older and younger players, I think probably the quarters/semis is far as we are likely to go as we are vulnerable at CB which is a weakness for us.

burtiew

Well he's on as a sub now against Austria, so we may or may not get some more dosh???

JJ red&white

£250k for a friendly sub appearance so £37.5k to us I believe.

Trapdoor

He's almost playing at left back. Not really getting in the game unfortunately.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did he even touch the ball?

Will the injury to Trent Alexander Arnold earn Ollie a call up?