• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Henry Winter of the Times mentions the club in his tweet on Ollie's development

Henry Winter

@henrywinter

·
26m

Congratulations to Ollie Watkins on his first #eng call. Been tireless in attack for #avfc, scoring 12 in 30, and creating chances being an outlet for others. Also reminder of the importance of EFL in developing talent for the PL via Exeter City and Brentford.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
In all seriousness, does anyone know if add ons of add ons exist? For example we got 15% of Brentfords profit, based on the initial transfer fee. However if Brentford now earn more money from their own add ons (such as Ollie getting a call up, if that was indeed an add on), do we now get 15% of that additional Brentford income?
Yes. We get 15% of Brentford's profit.

Brentford sold Ollie for a reported 28m *rising to 33m*.

There are therefore 5m of potential add ons, which would earn us another 750k if the full 5m gets paid to Brentford.

The one unknown is what the triggers are for payment of (up to) £5m. Many think that one element is an England cap!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although Grecians thought Ollie would go far since making his 'surprise' full league debut against the unmentionables 40 mileish W of the Fairer City of Exeter (causing the ground to be renamed "Harley Park") I bet no one had money on him representing his country (hopefully)!

A great reward for all Ollie's hard work and all those at ECFC that nurtured his raw talent into what he has become.

The FA should take notice that failing to protect lower league academies v the Premiership vultures who scoop up talent at bargain rates will affect potential England players - come on FA make sure lower league academies get fair recompense before it is too late ?

Afram Ollie, Afram City, Afram England !

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really good news for Ollie. He's in ahead of Bamford, Abraham, and Greenwood which is impressive despite Southgate saying he needs to improve his link up play.

Would be great if he could star in the Euros this summer!

Have the club considered getting a slightly smaller scoreboard to release some cash for an Ollie statue?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although Grecians thought Ollie would go far since making his 'surprise' full league debut against the unmentionables 40 mileish W of the Fairer City of Exeter (causing the ground to be renamed "Harley Park") I bet no one had money on him representing his country (hopefully)!

A great reward for all Ollie's hard work and all those at ECFC that nurtured his raw talent into what he has become.

The FA should take notice that failing to protect lower league academies v the Premiership vultures who scoop up talent at bargain rates will affect potential England players - come on FA make sure lower league academies get fair recompense before it is too late ?

Afram Ollie, Afram City, Afram England !
And I'm sure none of the handful of us who saw him score his first goal for City at Coventry in the Paintpot trophy over 6 years ago ever though we'd be reading this... I certainly didn't.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
And I'm sure none of the handful of us who saw him score his first goal for City at Coventry in the Paintpot trophy over 6 years ago ever though we'd be reading this... I certainly didn't.
Perhaps not the Paintpot game, but when I saw Ollie coming on as a sub during the second half of a game at SJP a few years back, getting put through one on one with the goal keeper, carrying the ball for 30 yards and slotting home with ease, I thought to myself 'I reckon he'll play for England and make his first squad call up for the WC Qualifiers in spring 2021 after getting a multi million pound move to the Premier League'

I guess some of us are just good at spotting talent.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Genuinely believed he would one day play for England now wishing I had backed that belief with a trip to the bookies. Hopefully Matt’s Swansea will be in PL next season and then who knows.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps not the Paintpot game, but when I saw Ollie coming on as a sub during the second half of a game at SJP a few years back, getting put through one on one with the goal keeper, carrying the ball for 30 yards and slotting home with ease, I thought to myself 'I reckon he'll play for England and make his first squad call up for the WC Qualifiers in spring 2021 after getting a multi million pound move to the Premier League'

I guess some of us are just good at spotting talent.
Or at telling lies?

Ex-ciderrr

what a proud day for Ollie, his family, all his hard work dedication in football to earn that opportunity to be selected for our country. And obviously what an unbelievably proud day for our football club too and the part we’ve played in helping him get there.

Absolutely made up for the bauy

UTC

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I saw him kick a ball around when he was three. I thought he was a good dribbler (he'd just eaten some porridge) and was sure he'd play for England U5s. How right I was .