• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Trapdoor

Grealish is more up for the fight than any player in that dressing room. The boy is Villa 'til he dies and will walk through hell and high water to make sure Villa succeed. Just because he is an inventive ball player does not mean he isn't up for the fight.
I'm not saying he's not passionate about the Villa cause, I'm saying he ain't Roy Keane (or similar). He won't stick his foot in and break up play when the game gets ugly. Unfortunately Villa dont have anyone in midfield who really does the ugly stuff well.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately Villa don't have anyone in midfield who really does the ugly stuff well.
Same could be said of many (most?) teams including us. Claude Makelele at Chelsea in the 2000s (and Real and PSG) was the best I have ever seen at doing that (and reading the game). Not dirty fouling, but being so good that it allows the other 9 outfield players to shine and making the team better than the sum of the parts. DMs rarely get the plaudits, he was never player of the year (though ironically N'Golo Kante, a decent player but not in the same class has).

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Same could be said of many (most?) teams including us. Claude Makelele at Chelsea in the 2000s (and Real and PSG) was the best I have ever seen at doing that (and reading the game). Not dirty fouling, but being so good that it allows the other 9 outfield players to shine and making the team better than the sum of the parts. DMs rarely get the plaudits, he was never player of the year (though ironically N'Golo Kante, a decent player but not in the same class) has.
Agree re Makelele. Michael Essien was also incredible in that position. The lower league ECFC equivalents over recent years would be James Dunne, and dare I say it Jordan Tilson!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tilson to Villa shock!

Grecian2K

Seems Ollie will have to go without his main partner in crime for a while!
Jack Grealish: Aston Villa captain out for about a month through injury - BBC Sport
#chancetoshine?

LOG

Ollie vs Ethan this evening.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
18:28

SHEFF UTD 0-0 ASTON VILLA
Sky Sports' Nick Wright:
"Only four goals in his last 17 games but Ollie Watkins is showing just how much he brings to this Villa side tonight. He's running the channels, winning headers, holding the ball up, bringing others into play, and generally making a nuisance of himself. Much more to him than goals."

Banksy

Didn’t watch much tonight , but looking at the last fifteen or so minutes Villa seemed very wayward with their passing.Few chances for Ollie.

DB9

Didn’t watch much tonight , but looking at the last fifteen or so minutes Villa seemed very wayward with their passing.Few chances for Ollie.
Grealish seems to be the very heart of Villa, When he's not playing they generally suffer.

Rosencrantz

He was unlucky with that header off the bar but Ethan came out on top tonight.