• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oh what fun it is to see, City win (3) away

wrekin

We have only won two games on the road with one more game to go. I know its points that win prizes but for me the minimum requirement for away wins is 3, anything less and you haven't cut it in the league and deserve to be relegated.

Looking back at the history books (not very thoroughly I admit), we have not won less than 3 away since the disasterous 83-84 Francis campaign, and we only won 6 in all that season. In the memorable seasons of 02/03, 94/95 and 93/94 we still managed at least 3. I have not looked back beyond the eighties but would be interested to know how many times we have ever won less than 3 in a season. Not many I bet. Anyone?

Thats why I believe that our salvation will actually come at Hartlepool. I think we are just good enough for this league and we will secure enough points from wins to prove it. Well, thats my theory anyway.... Assuming that Tranny win at Stockport (who themselves have won 3 away) to get their third, that should by my rules relegate Gillingham given that they have won precisely 0 on the road.

Its ironic of course that in all those years the City team will not have enjoyed anything like the away support that it has this season. Away wins are overrated obviously.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Nice theory; lets hope then that Wycombe (currently won 4 away) & Tranmere, don't send Gillingham & us down.

STURTZ

People used to say that we were better away because players didn't have to suffer the negativity that we had at SJP. What are you away fans doing? Sort yourselves out!

BOS

What are you away fans doing?
I've asked myself the same question many times this season... [sigh]

*-)

BOS (P12 W0 D4 L8)

BOS (P12 W0 D4 L8)
I think, like many away followers, I have been a bit hung up on my own away record in the last few months: (P18 W0 D6 L12).

I won't care a jot about it if we stay up though.

city_is_my_life

I would be happy with three away wins as it would mean survival would be pretty likely and I would have seen all three away wins.

CIML (P13 W2 D2 L9)

Oldsmobile-88

We did not win one game away in the 1986-87 season.....Strangely enough that season The Grecians had their longest unbeaten run,13 games,which started at the beginning of the season & ended at Preston in early November...A last minute goal iirc(not a good day because i lost money at cards on the way up to Deepdale!)

Loads of games were drawn on the road.There were three or four 0-0's on the spin.

I have doubts that we will reach 3 away wins this season..It has been a struggle on the road all season.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Why has our away form been so poor ?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
cos we're sh*t

Oldsmobile-88

Why has our away form been so poor ?
I think we were always going to struggle on the road this season & i said so at the start of the season..This level is very unforgiving if someone makes a mistake & our forwards may only get one decent chance & have to put it away...

Its a learning process for the manager & if we are at this level next season,there will be a improvement in playing staff & results away from SJP..

Last edited: