• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Official ECFC v Crewe Alexandra Matchday Fred.....

dontpassback

Another excellent game,and fair play to Crewe they played some nice stuff as well.the double save by Pym at 1 nil was crucial and the team pushed on and scored some good goals.the fear of playing at home has gone and. With goals coming from all parts of the team,we seem to have a winning formula.other teams will be looking at our results and be thinking we are invincible,let's hope we are (clap)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair though Manc, when you've lost your first choice strike force (SDW excepted!!!) within the first 25 minutes you've got to admit 4-0 still ain't too shabby!

Antony Moxey

It's truly mind boggling trying to fathom the turnaround in fortunes this season. Two months ago who'd have predicted eight goals, six points and a club record beating scoring run as we've seen this week? With regard to the players, there really aren't enough superlatives to describe today's performance, both collectively and individually. Of course Wheeler will get all the headlines with eight goals in seven consecutive matches but the contributions of others shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Surprisingly Simpson had probably the best game I've seen from him and like Stacey was desperately unlucky not to score. Not so James though with a ferocious side foot drive into the top corner to round off the scoring started early doors with JMT scrambling home from close range.

Worrying injuries ahead of next weekend's slobberknocker at Gnome Park with JMT and Watkins departing early and Reid not getting past the pre match warm up but I suspect wild horses couldn't keep them off the team bus next Saturday and no doubt the training ground will be absolutely buzzing in the build up to the game with Tis fruitlessly doing his best to keep feet firmly planted on the ground.

But back to today and it has to be said that two instances have been somewhat overlooked from today and Tuesday, those being the absolutely vital and pivotal one on one saves by Pym: on Tuesday when the scores were level and today with a world class double save that would have drawn Crewe level.

So hope we can keep this going, it's like watching the Tis teams of old and is very much an overdue and welcome relief to the last five years' dirge but I'll end on a positive with a huge well done to Tis, the backroom staff, the players and the fans. It's been a huge joint effort with everyone doing their bit to make matchdays at the Park genuinely something to look forward to again. Love it!

Red Bill

Wonderful wonderful wonderful! Don't want to buck the trend and delighted too see the fantastic David Wheeler break a record but my Mom Was Pym. That double one on one save at 1-0 and a fantastic diving save to keep one out of the top corner a while later, we're every bit as good as any of the goals, For a player who hasn't had that much to do in recent weeks, to step up like that when needed is fantastic!

grecIAN Harris

Brilliant performance driven from midfield by the much maligned Lloyd James who topped off a proper midfield generals performance with a cracking finish. It was a great day all round, seven wins on the bounce. Seven goalscoring performance by a certain Mr Wheeler in seven games. It's the best City performance I've seen at home in years without, as has been noted already, no Reid at all and Ollie Watkins for an hour.
WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!
WE'RE COMING FOR YOOOOOU!!!!
PLYMUFF ARGYLE!!!
WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Dubai Grecian

It's truly mind boggling trying to fathom the turnaround in fortunes this season. Two months ago who'd have predicted eight goals, six points and a club record beating scoring run as we've seen this week? With regard to the players, there really aren't enough superlatives to describe today's performance, both collectively and individually. Of course Wheeler will get all the headlines with eight goals in seven consecutive matches but the contributions of others shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Surprisingly Simpson had probably the best game I've seen from him and like Stacey was desperately unlucky not to score. Not so James though with a ferocious side foot drive into the top corner to round off the scoring started early doors with JMT scrambling home from close range.

Worrying injuries ahead of next weekend's slobberknocker at Gnome Park with JMT and Watkins departing early and Reid not getting past the pre match warm up but I suspect wild horses couldn't keep them off the team bus next Saturday and no doubt the training ground will be absolutely buzzing in the build up to the game with Tis fruitlessly doing his best to keep feet firmly planted on the ground.

But back to today and it has to be said that two instances have been somewhat overlooked from today and Tuesday, those being the absolutely vital and pivotal one on one saves by Pym: on Tuesday when the scores were level and today with a world class double save that would have drawn Crewe level.

So hope we can keep this going, it's like watching the Tis teams of old and is very much an overdue and welcome relief to the last five years' dirge but I'll end on a positive with a huge well done to Tis, the backroom staff, the players and the fans. It's been a huge joint effort with everyone doing their bit to make matchdays at the Park genuinely something to look forward to again. Love it!
Good post, great last paragraph....sums up my feelings and I suspect many others.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Paul Tisdale has (unusually) defended criticism from some City fans of his tactical choices in post match interview

"The big moment was Christy Pym making a wonderful double save at 1-0 and then Liam McAlinden headed the ball off the line from the corner with a brilliant diving header.

"That's why, Mr and Mrs supporter, you bring everyone back at corners – the art is to keep the ball out the back of the net and that's what Liam McAlinden did.

"I'm really pleased but we want to get onto the next and get our heads firmly focussed on the challenge ahead, as there's plenty of football left for this season."

Tisdale added: "I loved the five minutes with a double save from Christy and Liam McAlinden heading the ball off the line.

"It was just poetry for me to see that – I get bellowed at every time we defend a corner from people behind me who tell me what I should be doing, but that's why the centre-forwards go back, as they're part of the team effort.

"The team effort on defending a corner is to keep the ball out of the back of the net first and foremost, not a counter-attack, so the centre-forward goes back and heads it off the line to keep it at 1-0 – that was a big moment.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Reid was ill and not injured prior to the game so may be OK for next week. Ollies injury looked like ankle or achilles. He tried to carry on for a few minutes then signalled to the bench to be subbed. It doesn't look good for Ollie to play next week to be honest, but I guess we'll hear more soon.

crocks

I was down in dear ol Devon today visiting Mum. Due to a bit of strain on finances I couldn't justify going onto the match......but my goodness, what a team City are. Just shows what City are capable of when there is confidence in the side. As Mr Moxey said above, huge round of applause to Tisdale and the coaches and background staff and all associated with City. It feels so special to be a City supporter once again. Let the good times roll!

....hope Ollie and JMT are not too badly injured and their substitutions were more precautionary than anything else.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think Ollie is a calf strain so hopefully ok for next week.
This run of results and performances is unbelievable but an absolute pleasure to be watching.
As has been said crucial double save by Pym out of the top drawer.
Everyone is playing for each other as is demonstrated by the number of different players scoring - felt for Crewe thought they played the game the right way and 4-0 was harsh on them. Even Simpson played his part when he came on.
Onwards and upwards - UTC