• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Official coach travel.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
We can all usually find cheaper ways of travelling. If you fill a 4/5 seater car for example you can do it a fair bit cheaper per head (though not as cheap as it once was) but you then have to factor in a season of wear and tear on the vehicle(s) used.

For some of us, it's not just the price, it's also value for money for what we are charged.

There is almost always an on-board toilet and hot drinks can usually be made on board (I recommend Marge Lowe's buffet service to anyone! :D)

Also, all the official coaches have insurance included for passengers, the drivers are second to none in terms of safety and care for their passengers. Anyone who knew Colin Upham will know what I mean....and rarely, if ever, do they get lost (I have heard some interesting stories on that front regarding the "unofficial" travel this season!)

£36 to Hartlepool and back.....a round trip of 700 or so miles....5 pence a mile? Feckin' bargain!!

toast

Travelled on the official coach
to Brentford for £15. How cheap
was that?

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Prefer to travel on the train whenever i can. Did it once and is a good day. Coach travel is ok but can get a bit cramped

Grecian1966

A friend of mine has travelled on the EDG's coach and he told me that they charge a lower basic and then make it up by selling cakes, hot drinks, quizzes etc. which makes up the shortfall to pay for the overall cost of the coach. I guess most people would buy a few extras therefore it looks like it's only the 'headline' price that's different. I guess the SC coach pays for the coach purely by the ticket price?

Fred

Oldsmobile-88

£36 was a realistic price for a 750 mile round trip....As others have said the EDG must subsidize the trip somehow(well done for making it so cheap)..£20 is incredible..

The supporters club run the travel,not the club...Profits from Wembley x2 have been given to the club for specific projects...

I used to go to many games by coach 20 odd years ago & it was touch & go on many occasions wheather the 22 punters needed to make the coach viable would want to go,so well done to all who have run Grecian Travel over the years & turned it into the success it is now...(not that i would want to use that mode of transport now)

It cost me £85 for diesel & £3 to park last saturday,so the travellers on the supporters coach had a good deal.

A377 Lad

EDG broke even...

50 x average of say 32= £1600. Does it really cost that much?

Lister

Also, all the official coaches have insurance included for passengers, the drivers are second to none in terms of safety and care for their passengers. Anyone who knew Colin Upham will know what I mean....and rarely, if ever, do they get lost (I have heard some interesting stories on that front regarding the "unofficial" travel this season!)
Are you saying the EDG coach isn't as safe as the Kingdoms one? What is this extra insurance for and what does it cover?

And come on, spill the beans on these stories, then maybe i'll tell you the ones i've heard about the window lickers service ;)

Frith

5p a mile is expensive? Rubbish. My car does an average of 17ppm...

Pete Martin (CTID)

A friend of mine has travelled on the EDG's coach and he told me that they charge a lower basic and then make it up by selling cakes, hot drinks, quizzes etc. which makes up the shortfall to pay for the overall cost of the coach. I guess most people would buy a few extras therefore it looks like it's only the 'headline' price that's different. I guess the SC coach pays for the coach purely by the ticket price?

Fred
Yes. I think that's about it Fred. Drinks (and sometimes cakes, when available) are charged for on the SC bus but the money made goes to charity. Last Saturday I think it was around £41 iirc.

You pays yer money and takes yer pick I guess.

I understand that, next season, the SC intends to scrap child and OAP concessions and charge a flat rate for all, which will be lower than the existing full rate.

Oldsmobile-88

What is this extra insurance for and what does it cover?
...:D...

Probably anyone tripping over Jubby's walking stick at the front of the coach....or Razor ruining your clothes with spilt ale in the pub...