• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
RIP Fred Titmus, one of the true legends of Middlesex (and England) Cricket, one of the all-time leading wicket takers in a career that spanned 33 years.

http://www.middlesexccc.com/news-detail.asp?NewsID=2238
As soon as I heard the name, I remembered this story ...

Clive told a story about Pat Pocock. Percy as he is known came out at bat at Lord's one day. For the first time Pocock was batting in glasses. Fred Titmus was bowling from the Pavilion end. Fred stopped in his delivery stride as he notices Pat's glasses. 'What you wearing them for Percy?' says Fred. 'So I can hear better' replies Percy. Titmus proceeds to bowl Pocock out first ball. As Pocock walks past Titmus, Fred calls out 'Didn't hear that bugger too well did you Percy!

Apparently Fred was quite deaf so was quite slow to hear the commotion caused by the glasses ...

And Eliziabeth taylor rip.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
As soon as I heard the name, I remembered this story ...

Clive told a story about Pat Pocock. Percy as he is known came out at bat at Lord's one day. For the first time Pocock was batting in glasses. Fred Titmus was bowling from the Pavilion end. Fred stopped in his delivery stride as he notices Pat's glasses. 'What you wearing them for Percy?' says Fred. 'So I can hear better' replies Percy. Titmus proceeds to bowl Pocock out first ball. As Pocock walks past Titmus, Fred calls out 'Didn't hear that bugger too well did you Percy!

Apparently Fred was quite deaf so was quite slow to hear the commotion caused by the glasses ...
Nice story Adam. He also lost 4 toes in an horrific boating accident.

One of the old style cricket pros.

RIP Fred

Last edited:

11thFoot

Can you write your own ? (obviously you can't after)

Last edited:

mwallace

Someone at my work has just won £1700 on the work deathpool with liz taylors demise. Not me I had camilla parker bowles. Boooo :'(

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harry Cooper - inventor of Superglue.

(Stuck around until he was 94 thought [y] )

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Beat me to it. One of the more ubiquitous names in British industry. RIP.

mammooman

Not the original 'Eddie' Stobart, Edward was Eddie's son.

Incontinentia

Eddie Stobart 56. Haulage.
Limited to 56? Not a very long haul, sadly.