• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Now We Got The Cash

dave williams

We could pay our manager off as so many wanted not so long ago !!

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We could pay our manager off as so many wanted not so long ago !!
we could but the that is not the clubs view. I would definitely be against doing so, tisdale has the responsibility of ending this run quickly so he should be judged on how he goes about that imo. he didn't go when we were bottom so he certainly wont go now, if he ever left it should be for a new job with us getting compensation to justify his rolling contract or sacked/voluntarily walking if we got into a bad position for a prolonged period. From where we are now we should be good enough to avoid getting into any problem this season.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
But, dave, 'so many' were really so few.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
More than is healthy though Rae I think. Lets hope things don't get to that sort of situation again.

JamieEcfc

Embarrassing thread.

The worst thread of 2015. Pointless

Silver fox

The worst thread of 2015. Pointless
Sure to win an award next year ;)

hatch4england

It would make sense from a commercial point of view (IMHO) to use about £70k of it to buy off PT to shorten the rolling contract to something reasonable (6/9 months?)

The danger is that if it becomes incumbent on the club in the future to dispense with him (BTW among the reasons you can't use are him getting too old...) then the likelihood is that the club will not be in a position to fire him without risking insolvency.

Whilst it is true that he might go to a bigger club (is it more or less probable than him losing the plot entirely? Your guess is as good as mine), there's no particular reason why the club wouldn't have a free hand to negotiate whatever level of compensation it can whatever the length of the contract. It has always been a chimera, in my view, that having a 2 year rolling contract somehow put the club in an inherently stronger position than a shorter on (within limits).

It is a great chance for the board to correct a very stupid decision and to limit the downside risk to the business.

Avening Posse

It would make sense from a commercial point of view (IMHO) to use about £70k of it to buy off PT to shorten the rolling contract to something reasonable (6/9 months?)

The danger is that if it becomes incumbent on the club in the future to dispense with him (BTW among the reasons you can't use are him getting too old...) then the likelihood is that the club will not be in a position to fire him without risking insolvency.

Whilst it is true that he might go to a bigger club (is it more or less probable than him losing the plot entirely? Your guess is as good as mine), there's no particular reason why the club wouldn't have a free hand to negotiate whatever level of compensation it can whatever the length of the contract. It has always been a chimera, in my view, that having a 2 year rolling contract somehow put the club in an inherently stronger position than a shorter on (within limits).

It is a great chance for the board to correct a very stupid decision and to limit the downside risk to the business.
I know this has been asked many times over and over, but does anybody actually know if the 2 year roller is still in place anyway ?, what's to say noticed wasn't served in the past when times were tricky ?. Paul Tisdale did say not too long ago that he took a significant pay cut, so does that not suggest some form of contractual renegotiation ?.......I guess we will never know, I personally think the guy is doing a sterling job though on severely limited resource pre the Grimes sale

hatch4england

It's not that he's done a terrible job (the reality is it isn't as stellar as his apologists would have you believe nor such an unalloyed disaster as his detractors claim: we are in the exact same league position as we were when I started watching the club in the 1970s)...it is just good housekeeping to limit the downside risk of the business.

The board is pursuing a very high risk strategy and this is one risk that can and should be mitigated.