• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Now THAT'S what I call Hardcore!

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy absence from Exeweb, lads (and ladies) but can anyone beat the 600 mile round trip I did last Saturday to watch our beloved club beat Accrington 3-2, starting from P**mouth (yes, they're actually ARE Grecians living here, although I tend to keep a low profile, for obvious reasons) at 6.25am, and changing trains at Birmingham and Preston, got into Accrington at about 12.30pm, had some brekkie grub in the town centre then headed for a small pub called, I believe, The Grey Fox, a few minutes walk from the ground. Now I've been to some dumps in the 25 years I've been going to matches up and down the country but Accrington's away end toilets must rate as the worse in the country. Black masking tape at the entrance step? Half painted walls?? Enough room to squeeze in six people at one go? Hmm. As one of the 110 away support (and one of the maddest as my girlfriend has no concept of what being a true football fan is, as opposed to glory hunters or armchair fans), it was a truly miserable afternoon, I was drenched to the skin, it felt like a force 7 gale hurricane when I left the ground for the mile's walk back to the station-but s*d it, it was well worth it! :D

P.s. anyone doing Cheltenham away? Would love to go but no trains are running on Boxing Day, so that's put paid to that plan, I'm afraid.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry for the somewhat lengthy absence from Exeweb, lads (and ladies) but can anyone beat the 600 mile round trip I did last Saturday to watch our beloved club beat Accrington 3-2, starting from P**mouth (yes, they're actually ARE Grecians living here, although I tend to keep a low profile, for obvious reasons) at 6.25am, and changing trains at Birmingham and Preston, got into Accrington at about 12.30pm, had some brekkie grub in the town centre then headed for a small pub called, I believe, The Grey Fox, a few minutes walk from the ground. Now I've been to some dumps in the 25 years I've been going to matches up and down the country but Accrington's away end toilets must rate as the worse in the country. Black masking tape at the entrance step? Half painted walls?? Enough room to squeeze in six people at one go? Hmm. As one of the 110 away support (and one of the maddest as my girlfriend has no concept of what being a true football fan is, as opposed to glory hunters or armchair fans), it was a truly miserable afternoon, I was drenched to the skin, it felt like a force 7 gale hurricane when I left the ground for the mile's walk back to the station-but s*d it, it was well worth it! :D

P.s. anyone doing Cheltenham away? Would love to go but no trains are running on Boxing Day, so that's put paid to that plan, I'm afraid.
Pah is that all...come back when you've been to Carlisle on a cold Tuesday night then started work at 8am the next morning!

;) :D ;)

Chuckles

...or followed England to South Africa, watched Chelsea in Moscow or City in Norway

grecian55

Or watched Exeter v Torquay at Hartland ! eat your hearts out lads.;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
But did you stay to the final whistle?

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Or followed the mighty Yeovil up Middlesborough and back.

les.gtfc

Going back to the mid '80's I went on the GTFC Supporters coach to Plymouth. The coach left Grimsby at midnight so me and my mate went out on the Friday night for a few beers. Caught the coach at midnight and played cards on the back seat most of the way there. We also had a few tinnies as the rules weren't as strict as they are now re alcohol on coaches.

The organiser had arranged for a pub in Plympton to open especially for us at 9am but we got there just after 8 so the landlord opened then. A big breakfast, washed down by a few more pints before we heading into Plymouth where more pre-match drinks were had. We then watched our team get spanked 5-0 before heading off home after the game.

On the way back we stopped off in Burton for a couple of hours to drown our sorrows with some more beer and food before finally arriving back in Grimsby about 2.30am. I was a lot, lot younger then though and a repeat would probably kill me off now.

Last edited:

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going back to the mid '80's I went on the GTFC Supporters coach to Plymouth. The coach left Grimsby at midnight so me and my mate went out on the Friday night for a few beers. Caught the coach at midnight and played cards on the back seat most of the way there. We also had a few tinnies as the rules weren't as strict as they are now re alcohol on coaches.

The organiser had arranged for a pub in Plympton to open especially for us at 9am but we got there just after 8 so the landlord opened then. A big breakfast, washed down by a few more pints before we heading into Plymouth where more pre-match drinks were had. We then watched our team get spanked 5-0 before heading off home after the game.

On the way back we stopped off in Burton for a couple of hours to drown our sorrows with some more beer and food before finally arriving back in Grimsby about 2.30am. I was a lot, lot younger then though and a repeat would probably kill me off now.
I'm sure Russ (oldsmobile) has done some similar wacky things like this when he used to go on our supporters coaches in the 80s

:D

Oldsmobile-88

I'm sure Russ (oldsmobile) has done some similar wacky things like this when he used to go on our supporters coaches in the 80s

:D
Yep,a midweeker at Darlington around the mid 80's springs to mind.Though there was not enough punters for a coach,so a minibus was the official travel( I drove part of the way up iirc) Any midweeker was a 'ball breaker' on the coach & the same as Les,it would kill me to do those sort of trips on a coach nowadays.

A coach back from Sunderland rolled into Exeter at 0530 & I was working at 0800...I could do that when I was a lot younger !..Now? A couple of days recovering !

Oldsmobile-88

Another nasty trip was one to Scarborough in 1987.Pi55ing down with rain(think St Albans,but worse,it rained for the whole game) The small grandstand was reserved for season ticket holders only & no cover on the away end.Soaked to the skin along with everyone else.The coach driver had to keep a side window open to stop the windscreen misting up due to the damp atmosphere in the vehicle from the wet bodies...I had just about dried out by the time we arrived back in Exeter at about 11-00pm..I was ill for about 3 days afterwards(along with many others I expect)..