• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Now about these Avatar's...

Hunter was my hero

Remember the Mekon

We used to have a chem teacher at school, looked just like him

David Treharne

Anybody who's even remotely interested in the "Pirate" radio phenomonen of the 1960's ought to try and get hold of a copy of "Selling the 60's - The pirates and pop music radio" by Robert Chapman, published by Routledge and recently re-issued with updates. O.K. he's an academic, but he puts forward a good set of theories about what Radio Caroline and Radio London were trying to do, and what their legacy has been to subsequent developments in pop music radio. Can I also ask if there's anyone else out there who still has a Johnny Walker 'Kiss in the car' license? PS Pierre Le Bish, will be in touch early this week!

David Treharne

Just wanted to get this thread going again as it nears the unprecedented 6000 hits mark. It's obvious from scrolling through the topics that have already been raised on here that you can post about nearly anything, particularly if it's music related. I'm hoping that if we can suatain it through until Friday someone will be able to write a [cider soaked] critique of the performance by the Wurzels.

ECFC69

Dave Treharne,you beat me to it in carrying this thread on!Anyway i''ll carry on-back along on this thread you mentioned The Standells,i've just been reading an excellent fanzine called Part Time Punk in which there is an article titled '60s Garage Punk Spectacular'.The article had this to say on The Standells-
'The Standells were an Ed Cobb(who also wrote'Tainted Love')aggregation and there big hit was called'Dirty Water',which became a garage band classic.Their'Riot on Sunset Strip'was featured in the hippie cash-in film of the same name,but a song with riot in the title and a police siren?Could The Clash have been listening?
It might be a good idea to start with a best of cd/record here,as The Standells were equal parts soul,mod pop and garage on their LP's.The punk element came out in tracks like'Why Pick On Me'and Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear Black'which was covered by The Count Bishops.Basically they are quality LP's so you can't go wrong if you've got a reasonably open mind.'
Other bands mentioned in the article are The Count Five,The Monks,The Seeds,The Troggs and The Sonics.

i o city

Two million voices
After the deju vu at sjp yesterday went into the
Hole in the wall pub in Castle street, they have a jukebox which
is called two million tracks the biggest juke box in the world
basically a computer on the wall, its a quid a go and in the faith
of us avatar folk we typed in some obscure stuff and like it
says its got two million tracks so its surprised us as to whats
on it, we did stump it with Bethnal ( early London pub punk
rockers)but it had the Starjets another early punk band, mind you we were losing the plot a bit so we were having trouble testing
it out, it also downloads to a mp3 and you can buy cds of it
aswell.

A great juke box memory of mine is playing the Anjelic upstarts
im a upstart single to death in The Red Cow much to the
annoyance of the landlady Jackie who hated it and was
always threatening to smash the record up.
ah to the olden days

Spicy Nik Nak

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will this thread ever die or is it burning an eternal flame?

Now weren't the Bangles great? Well for releasing pent up teenage frustrations at least :wink:

i o city

Smashing Pumpkins anyone!

Spoonz Red E

Top band the Bangles.

The way Susanna Hoff could sing and move her eyes from side to side at the same time!

Just like Prince could !!

BTW - whatever happened to The Baubles and The Bright Shiny Beads?

Spicy Nik Nak

IO how could you :lol:

i o city

Spicy I am Only refering to Billy Corgans band of course