• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nostalgic Music Gigs

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Adam Ant is playing at The Phoenix on Friday.Even though admission is £25+. The gig is a sell out...Perhaps he should have asked for a bit more..:D...

There seems to be a bit of mileage for these events.The 80's concerts at Powderham were always well attended & at £37 were good value compared to the above..

Anyone else seen any artists recently who have decided to top up their pensions ?..

PS I wonder what Mr Goddard will be wearing...The Dirk Wears White Sox era or the Pirate/Dandy Highway man look...:D..I am not going.Only saw him once,at Routes in 1979,a strange gig with a scrap at the end...I could not believe he was adorning teenage girls walls within about 18 months...The correct change of image & the Burundi drum sound.

Last edited:

LammieLammieLammie

Good post. Powderham was great . 10 bands for £37? Lovely.

Real thing were awesome, even Dr and the Medics. Wonder if Paul Young has found his voice yet.

Oldsmobile-88

Kid Creole with his hat & large 1940's trousers with braces..:D.....Great stuff..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Went and saw Steve Harley and C*ckney Rebel on the Avalon, Glastonbury stage last year. Was impressed, still had the energy though somewhat weathered by his years and life.

Swanaldo

There seems to be a bit of mileage for these events.
Indeed there does... for sad old gits who think no good music has been made since 1982 and won't get out of their comfort zones.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Conversely. During my formative years I thought the Wurzels were embarrassingly awful and wished that they would disappear from the airwaves. Went and saw them last year (my wife thought I was bonkers), again on the Avalon stage, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Oldsmobile-88

Conversely. During my formative years I thought the Wurzels were embarrassingly awful and wished that they would disappear from the airwaves. Went and saw them last year (my wife thought I was bonkers), again on the Avalon stage, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!
They were on TOTP BBC4 last week..A show from mid 1976..Number 2 in the charts..!! In those days you had to shift 100,000 units to do that...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
They were on TOTP BBC4 last week..A show from mid 1976..Number 2 in the charts..!! In those days you had to shift 100,000 units to do that...
I remember 1976 very well. Great summer, but some terrible music.

scottus86

I think in the last 5 years or so I have seen Bad Manners and Toots and the Maytals at the pheonix. The UK Subs are always on tour, they must be getting on a bit now, and I quite often see tour dates for Madness and The Specials... and I vaguely remember The Selecter at the Cavern about 5 or 6 years ago aswell. So bands from that two tone ska era are still about doing their stuff if you're into it.

PeteUSA

When I saw the OP title, I thought we'd be talking about the Old Civic Hall in Queens Street, back in the day. Gene Vincent, Shane Fenton, Emile Ford & the Checkmates, Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, and in the days before they were famous - The Rolling Stones and Shakin Stevens & The Sunsets! Generally only two bob to get in!

Happy Days!