• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton v Exeter Matchday Thread

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The game for me seemed like it was played in 30 minute spells. For the first half an hour Northampton were the better side. The 15 minutes before and after after time we were right in the match and were creating chances, albeit minor ones. And for the last 30 minutes it was back to the walls stuff. Their pace on the flanks caused us major problems.

Northampton started much the stronger side. A ball was played into the box and a ricochet landed at the Northampton player's feet about 6 yards out to which Pym was alert to make a good smothering save. We were struggling to get a real foot hold in the game and Hackett and Kaid Mohamed on the flanks were causing real danger to our defence. On numerous occasions in the first half they would get to the byline and put a delivery into the box which on a whole, were well dealt with by Bennett, Baldwin and Christy. We were lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half when the ball bounced up and hit Davies on the arm. It was a penalty in my opinion but despite the shouting from the crowd, it wasn't given. Around the half hour mark we started to create a few half chances. Sercombe had a couple of shots from outside the area, one which was saved and the other which cleared the behind the goal. Jay and Grimes had shots inside the box blocked. Our best chance of the half arrived when Wheeler, for the first time in the match attacked down the right. His cross towards Cummins was diverted towards goal by the Northampton defender to which their keeper had to be alert to tip the ball over the bar. No more chances fell our way, an we went in at half time at 0-0.

In the early stages of the second half I thought we were coping well. Wheeler was much more of a 'wing back' in this half and he got to the byline on a couple of occasions but there was nobody to turn home his crosses on either occasion. As we approached the final 30 minutes Northampton really started to turn the screw. Pym showed good reflexes to turn a header on to the cross bar from 6 or so yards out and was then alert to collect the rebound first. Then he denied the young, lively Northampton substitute as he raced clear on goal. Then that same player raced clear down the left, pulled the ball back for the on rushing Mohamed who had the whole goal to aim at. Pym was not to be beaten just yet though as he turned the shot around the post superbly. Hackett soon after tried is luck from range to which Pym was once again on his toes to turn the ball around. Then, what had been threatening to happen for 10 or so minutes finally did happen. Northampton's long throw paid dividence as it was flicked on and met by and acrobatic volley which Pym had no chance with. 1-0 Northampton. 4 minutes of injury time were shown straight after the re start but we didn't threaten once and the game petered out for another defeat.

We didn't really deserve anything from the match. Northampton were the better side did deserve the 3 points. It was an improvement on the other couple of away matches this season but result wise it's irrelevant. We are still yet to score a goal or pick up a point on our travels this season. The thought of Cambridge away in a couple Tuesday's time does not sound appealing in the slightest.

Man of the match, once again has to go to Christy. Take out the Argyle match, he really has been very impressive this season. Hopefully he'll be able to play for us against Mansfield. I thought Grimes also did well for us, as did Cummins who worked all afternoon. He goes down very easily, despite being physically strong on the ball which winds up the opposition, that isn't the worst thing in the world. Baldwin also played well and made some very well timed, and important challenges in the Northampton attacks.

Overall, another disappointing day. The performance was an improvement but we really didn't look like scoring. We deserved our defeat. However, with Ribeiro, JMT and Nichols back in our side I do feel we'll be significantly stronger. On to the next I suppose.

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
The game for me seemed like it was played in 30 minute spells. For the first half an hour Northampton were the better side. The 15 minutes before and after after time we were right in the match and were creating chances, albeit minor ones. And for the last 30 minutes it was back to the walls stuff. Their pace on the flanks caused us major problems.

Northampton started much the stronger side. A ball was played into the box and a ricochet landed at the Northampton player's feet about 6 yards out to which Pym was alert to make a good smothering save. We were struggling to get a real foot hold in the game and Hackett and Kaid Mohamed on the flanks were causing real danger to our defence. On numerous occasions in the first half they would get to the byline and put a delivery into the box which on a whole, were well dealt with by Bennett, Baldwin and Christy. We were lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half when the ball bounced up and hit Davies on the arm. It was a penalty in my opinion but despite the shouting from the crowd, it wasn't given. Around the half hour mark we started to create a few half chances. Sercombe had a couple of shots from outside the area, one which was saved and the other which cleared the behind the goal. Jay and Grimes had shots inside the box blocked. Our best chance of the half arrived when Wheeler, for the first time in the match attacked down the right. His cross towards Cummins was diverted towards goal by the Northampton defender to which their keeper had to be alert to tip the ball over the bar. No more chances fell our way, an we went in at half time at 0-0.

In the early stages of the second half I thought we were coping well. Wheeler was much more of a 'wing back' in this half and he got to the byline on a couple of occasions but there was nobody to turn home his crosses on either occasion. As we approached the final 30 minutes Northampton really started to turn the screw. Pym showed good reflexes to turn a header on to the cross bar from 6 or so yards out and was then alert to collect the rebound first. Then he denied the young, lively Northampton substitute as he raced clear on goal. Then that same player raced clear down the left, pulled the ball back for the on rushing Mohamed who had the whole goal to aim at. Pym was not to be beaten just yet though as he turned the shot around the post superbly. Hackett soon after tried is luck from range to which Pym was once again on his toes to turn the ball around. Then, what had been threatening to happen for 10 or so minutes finally did happen. Northampton's long throw paid dividence as it was flicked on and met by and acrobatic volley which Pym had no chance with. 1-0 Northampton. 4 minutes of injury time were shown straight after the re start but we didn't threaten once and the game petered out for another defeat.

We didn't really deserve anything from the match. Northampton were the better side did deserve the 3 points. It was an improvement on the other couple of away matches this season but result wise it's irrelevant. We are still yet to score a goal or pick up a point on our travels this season. The thought of Cambridge away in a couple Tuesday's time does not sound appealing in the slightest.

Man of the match, once again has to go to Christy. Take out the Argyle match, he really has been very impressive this season. Hopefully he'll be able to play for us against Mansfield. I thought Grimes also did well for us, as did Cummins who worked all afternoon. He goes down very easily, despite being physically strong on the ball which winds up the opposition, that isn't the worst thing in the world. Baldwin also played well and made some very well timed, and important challenges in the Northampton attacks.

Overall, another disappointing day. The performance was an improvement but we really didn't look like scoring. We deserved our defeat. However, with Ribeiro, JMT and Nichols back in our side I do feel we'll be significantly stronger. On to the next I suppose.
Thanks GOG another top report matey.

Avening Posse

Tell you what GOG, your reports are quality, god knows how you remember all that, I can't even see the names on the oppo players shirts if its in the other half !, let's hope your next one is a win !

Silver fox

Tell you what GOG, your reports are quality, god knows how you remember all that, I can't even see the names on the oppo players shirts if its in the other half !, let's hope your next one is a win !
I think he works for the BBC AP! If not sign him up now...

Well-known Exeweb poster
yeah great report pretty much as it was and imo uve got to go down as 'man of the post match' for duties above and beyond.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was not at the match and did not listen on the radio so i cannot comment individually but have seen some of the chances and the goal

The goal was a cracking finish. The saves Pym made where good quality. Pym is becoming a good goalkeeper and has a lot of potential despite my concerns about his lack of height.

We need to attempt by hook or crook to get in some attacking minded signings and creative signings. Harley's name keeps appearing but he would be ideal in our current situation.

Apparently we have the lad coming in from Northampton. Hopefully he can provide us with what we need.

On the up

Pym was fine in goal today & in front of him the back three defended well.
The three central midfielders all turned in good performances, in my opinion, with Oakley continuing last weeks form, albeit in a different position.
Wheeler did the defensive part of his role very well in the first half but once again tired in the second half & was correctly subbed. A couple of good pull backs but he wasn't a massive attacking threat. Davies didn't really get into the game at all.
The front two didn't look like scoring & I'm not sure if Matt Jay will be physically strong enough, even with a big man beside him, to compete with defenders.
Nicholls, JMT & Butterfield were all warming up before the game & will all be available for next Saturday. The availability of the first two, plus Ribeiro, will certainly improve the starting eleven & give us a bit more goal threat which we badly need.
Good description of the player performances. Generally we played ok and nearly picked up a good away point. However the lads tired towards the end and the goal was expected. Our lack of strength on the bench really hurt us, as we had limited options to strengthen in the second half. Over the next two weeks we should see 3 or 4 1st starters return, albeit they may need a few games to build up match fitness again. This should be enough to get our season going. We really are not far away from having a decent league 2 team, containing lots of under 25 players. My biggest concern Is where are the goals coming from. Sure some of the stay away fans will really enjoy slating the club after this loss, but I'm anticipating we put in a couple of entertaining performances at home in the next two games.

On the up

Think you've summed up the match very well. Personally though Baldwins heading was worthy of a mention too. He did well all afternoon.

Exe-Cited Fan

Another good match for Christy Pym, he cant save the goals and score them though....
He is well deserved of the England call up and at 19 he really does deserve the support from the fans now.
A really nice lad who has worked very hard and waited his time in goal after Artur left.
Both Grimes and Pym need all the fans behind them now, with a lift from Exeter crowd they could shine next week and that will be great for the club as a whole in the future. Good luck to both of them.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
1 shot on target & our goalkeeper as MOTM.

Everything you need to know there.