• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton v City 9 March 2019 General & Predictions

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jason's match preview http://www.exeweb.com/2019/03/07/next-up-northampton-town-vs-exeter-city/

We have a shockingly poor record against Northampton.
I can still remember the shock of hearing the football results one Saturday in 1957, the season before we became founder members of the new Fourth Division Northampton 9 Exeter City 0. Equalling our previous highest defeat also 9-0 against Coventry City in the 1930s.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A poor record at Northampton for me watching..Never even seen the Grecians pick up a point in 6 visits over the years,in fact the best away game at Northampton for me was the postponed game in 1986 !
Called off at 0800(illness in the camp)just as we were leaving on the coach(in those pre social media & mobile phone days,Tony Kellow drove to the bus station to stop the coach leaving)

The rearranged fixture a month later was lost 0-4 against a very good Northampton team.

Fancy breaking the duck for this game,picking up a point.

Last edited:

Red Devon

A poor record at Northampton for me watching..Never even seen the Grecians pick up a point in 6 visits over the years,in fact the best away game at Northampton for me was the postponed game in 1986 !
Called off at 0800(illness in the camp)just as we were leaving on the coach(in those pre social media & mobile phone days,Tony Kellow drove to the bus station to stop the coach leaving)

The rearranged fixture a month later was lost 0-4 against a very good Northampton team.

Fancy breaking the duck for this game,picking up a point.
We actually arrived at the ground for that one with no knowledge that it had been called off...my biggest memory of that day was getting a few pics sat in the dugout at the County Ground long before selfies of course.

Oldsmobile-88

We actually arrived at the ground for that one with no knowledge that it had been called off...my biggest memory of that day was getting a few pics sat in the dugout at the County Ground long before selfies of course.
A real pain that must have been...Quite a lot of interest in the game iirc,Northampton were top & the Grecians were unbeaten in the league.
Were you on the coach that ended up at Newport v Middlesbrough that afternoon ?

Red Devon

A real pain that must have been...Quite a lot of interest in the game iirc,Northampton were top & the Grecians were unbeaten in the league.
Were you on the coach that ended up at Newport v Middlesbrough that afternoon ?
No I drove to Northampton...but I was on the coach one day at Darlo when that was called off and we ended up going to Middlesbrough v Millwall...I think were the opposition that day not 100% certain it was Millwall

Oldsmobile-88

No I drove to Northampton...but I was on the coach one day at Darlo when that was called off and we ended up going to Middlesbrough v Millwall...I think were the opposition that day not 100% certain it was Millwall
I drove the supporters minibus to Darlington in Nov 1987,the game was called off at 1.45pm(frozen pitch) we managed to get to Middlesbrough to see the game against Barnsley.Ironically the pitch at Ayresome Park was not much better,but the game went ahead..Boro won 2-0

denzel

I'd wager not as much as Devon - frankly I was shocked to hear Torquay was called off. We had a biblical storm briefly on Wednesday evening but not much else.
Probably just as well it isn't at SJP tomorrow. It feels like it hasn't stopped all week!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
My team for this game would be:

Pym

Sweeney Martin O'Shea (Moxey comes in for Martin if he's fit)

Wilson and Woodman or Brown (wing backs)

Taylor Collins

Jay Law (both playing centrally as attacking midfielders)

Bowman (if he's not fit Forte plays)

It's a slightly unusual set up with two attacking midfielders however they are both hard working players who will track back.

I think this formation makes us solid away from home but we also have players in behind the striker who can score.

Last edited:

Red Devon

I drove the supporters minibus to Darlington in Nov 1987,the game was called off at 1.45pm(frozen pitch) we managed to get to Middlesbrough to see the game against Barnsley.Ironically the pitch at Ayresome Park was not much better,but the game went ahead..Boro won 2-0
Must have been that one...I can remember us waiting at Feethams for the referee to make his decision before we shot off to Boro without much time to spare, wasn’t it when Bernie Slaven was in his hay day

Oldsmobile-88

Must have been that one...I can remember us waiting at Feethams for the referee to make his decision before we shot off to Boro without much time to spare, wasn’t it when Bernie Slaven was in his hay day
Yep..Bernie Slaven was the main man up front for Boro at the time..He scored that day as well.