• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

No Frear

SDRighton

With young Exeter-born Elliott getting various plaudits down at "seven from seven" FGR, is this another one that we probably let go a little too hastily?

No. He wouldn't have played for us, and has only progressed his game onwards through playing regularly in a lower division.

I've never understood these threads. It's a bit like asking if Brentford stuffed up by releasing Manny Oyoleke as he's playing well for us, in a lower division.

I am intrigued, though - who else do people think we released too soon?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope one day he can secure a deal in MASL along with Logie.

(Just need an excuse for the Frear & Logan In Las Vegas pun I've been saving for years).

Boyo

With young Exeter-born Elliott getting various plaudits down at "seven from seven" FGR, is this another one that we probably let go a little too hastily?
Maybe it was his decision to leave?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
saw him play last Saturday for FGR at Kiddy.Did well what Elliott Frear does. Hugged the touchline, put in a series of dangerous crosses , and eventually FGR put one of them away.

At which point Elliott was immediately withdrawn for professional fatman/beast in Jon Parkin (who scored a minute later to clinch the game). A comfortable away win for FGR, top of the conference, against Kiddy,who are bottom.

Elliott is proving again (as he did at Salisbury) that if you are near the top of the table in non league and need that extra spark/delivery to break teams down, then he is a very useful option. Not so sure about his capabilities when his team don't have the ball/need to defend a lead etc (as proved by him being substituted as soon as they were in front).

flack attack

My favourite variation on this thread has to be when a few Exewebbers started going nuts about the fact that we'd let Sean Canham go in 2005 and he got picked up for a trial by Charlton 3 seasons later. "What a **** club we are. No faith in youngsters. Should have held onto him etc etc." Yeah hold onto a player for 3 seasons where they presumably either don't play or are just out on loan, whilst you pay or heavily subsidise their wages.

I was slightly surprised when we released Frear, I'll admit. Good luck to him. Certainly wouldn't begrudge him a return to the football league with FGR if that's how it ends up panning out...season is yet young.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Maybe it was his decision to leave?
It's not impossible it was his decision to leave, but if he was under 24 when he left and Tisdale wanted to keep hold of him wouldn't we look to impose the compensation?

Colesman Ballz

It's not impossible it was his decision to leave, but if he was under 24 when he left and Tisdale wanted to keep hold of him wouldn't we look to impose the compensation?
Excuse me if I am confusing him with one of the other young players Tis has had a spat with but didnt he go all the way to Lancashire to be an unused sub, before making an ill judged comment on social media along the lines of "what a waste of time" ? That was early in the season, whereupon he was banished to the boon docks, and sent out on loan, before being released. Tis doesn't tolerate criticism from the youngsters, but if you are over 30 you can what the duck you like, and don't even have to turn up for training !;)

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excuse me if I am confusing him with one of the other young players Tis has had a spat with but didnt he go all the way to Lancashire to be an unused sub, before making an ill judged comment on social media along the lines of "what a waste of time" ? That was early in the season, whereupon he was banished to the boon docks, and sent out on loan, before being released. Tis doesn't tolerate criticism from the youngsters, but if you are over 30 you can what the duck you like, and don't even have to turn up for training !;)
If its curo your on about then I wonder if he hadn't done what he did would we have tried harder with our attempts to keep him?.

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

saw him play last Saturday for FGR at Kiddy.Did well what Elliott Frear does. Hugged the touchline, put in a series of dangerous crosses , and eventually FGR put one of them away.

At which point Elliott was immediately withdrawn for professional fatman/beast in Jon Parkin (who scored a minute later to clinch the game). A comfortable away win for FGR, top of the conference, against Kiddy,who are bottom.

Elliott is proving again (as he did at Salisbury) that if you are near the top of the table in non league and need that extra spark/delivery to break teams down, then he is a very useful option. Not so sure about his capabilities when his team don't have the ball/need to defend a lead etc (as proved by him being substituted as soon as they were in front).
Agree with this. Seen Frear a couple of times for FGR, bit of fancy footwork, the occasional decent cross, but so lightweight, still looks like a 10 yr old amongst men.