• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ninety Years

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, almost 90 years has the old grandstand served us. Stood there in all its glory it has served us well. Generations of Grecians have sat on its (still mostly serviceable) seats and, whilst it's exciting that we are to get a brand spanking new replacement, spare a thought for the old lady and everything she has witnessed over all those years.

It's worth also giving a moment's thought to last evening's vote at the city planning committee which effectively signalled her demise. Remember that that moment was achieved under supporter ownership, a relatively new development in football and unheard of when the old lady was built all those years ago.

A landmark in the club's history. Yes, we know it's not what a number of people would like. Rightwing has told us often enough that the club was doing it all wrong and how much better it could have been. We would all have liked a pocket sized Etihad at SJP, but at what cost? What we will get will be at no cost to the football club, allowing the money we otherwise generate to be used to improve the playing squadh and develop our already highly regarded academy further. None of the development will put the club in hock or attract the wolf to the door. Not a bad result imho.

Like I said at the outset, all this achieved under supporter ownership. Well done to those tasked with pushing this through and now is the time for us all to back the Trust model at City even harder. United we stand and let's see how much more we can achieve and how far we can go!

UTC!!

Fareham Grecian

Quite agree.

(Wonder how long it will be though before someone starts moaning. It'd be nice to keep this as a positive thread.)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's hope the club can celebrate the occasion with promotion on the pitch to give the og a proper send off.

Really happy it is being replaced but will miss the og.

angelic upstart

Everyone calls it the old grandstand now, but when did it make the transition from grandstand to old grandstand?

citizen

Everyone calls it the old grandstand now, but when did it make the transition from grandstand to old grandstand?
When the new one was built I suspect?

Avening Posse

In 37 years of watching City you could count the number of times I've been in there on the fingers of one hand, so I think I'm going to go in there for a couple of home games this season before its gone for good

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, we know it's not what a number of people would like. Rightwing has told us often enough that the club was doing it all wrong and how much better it could have been. We would all have liked a pocket sized Etihad at SJP, but at what cost? What we will get will be at no cost to the football club, allowing the money we otherwise generate to be used to improve the playing squad and develop our already highly regarded academy further. None of the development will put the club in hock or attract the wolf to the door. Not a bad result imho.
Pete, a serious question - how do you think that we will generate the additional off field income that would put us on a level playing field with all the other clubs in our league that are getting their redevelopment plans right? That certainly wouldn't be through a very tired, high rental cost, St. James' Centre, so how do you propose to do it?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Have only ever watch one game from the Grandstand. Sat on a wooden bench near the font of the stand by the, now, away end. Some sort of international game involving the police back on the seventies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I've only sat in the OG once, and that was for our Football tournament on the morning after the final match of 03/04 involving two Exiles sides, the Social Club side and the Norwegians. I put my back out during our first match and ended up running the line in most of the other matches (including the final reffed by Flacky).

denzil

Are we going to be selling bits of the metal on a stand with a plaque attached :) ??