• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County vs Exeter City official match day thread

Stelios

Can't believe the grief Stockley gets. He is not the issue. It's the dreadful service he has to deal with.

We always have "Tisdale" out this time of year. But we're actually doing quite well. Just very inconsistent. Yes, he tinkers too much and it's very frustrating and annoying. He says really stupid things (remember how pleased he was with our 1-4 defeat against Luton?). We're just as capable of going 10 without a win as we are going 10 games unbeaten but home form is actually good this year. 3rd round of the Cup etc.

My Tisdale cup is half full at the moment.

Stelios

We have 2 good wingers in Edwards and Holmes. Why doesn't he play them together? Maybe he thinks we'll get overrun in midfield, but we usually are overrun anyway!

To summarize, I believe Tisdale is overcautious, over-
analyzes, asks players to do what is not natural for them to fit in to his analysis of the game, farks around with the team too much, and waits too long when his plan is clearly going wrong. His overall win rate in 600 games is 38%.His overall goal difference is probably close to zero. These are not terrible statistics but they're pretty average ones. He has done good things for City at times, but rarely consistently. Some of our managers have been much worse than Tis, and some have been better, if we include results AND entertainment value. Why not just send out our best (attacking) team and let them play : sometimes they look scared to be in the wrong place or move forward.
I should have just quoted this to be honest. If you're 'pragmatic' and consistent then fair enough. But if you're 'pragmatic' and completely inconsistent then surely it's time to stop being 'pragmatic' and just "have a go"?! It's only League 2 FFS. I totally understand where the frustration comes from.

tonykellowfan

Can't believe the grief Stockley gets. He is not the issue. It's the dreadful service he has to deal with.

We always have "Tisdale" out this time of year. But we're actually doing quite well. Just very inconsistent. Yes, he tinkers too much and it's very frustrating and annoying. He says really stupid things (remember how pleased he was with our 1-4 defeat against Luton?). We're just as capable of going 10 without a win as we are going 10 games unbeaten but home form is actually good this year. 3rd round of the Cup etc.

My Tisdale cup is half full at the moment.
You need to look at recent form. We are dropping down the table fast. We have lost 9 out of how many in the league?

hardi2b

when a single loss to a crap opponent becomes a trend we have serious cause for concern......cut the tweaking out..... Tis has now set the mould for a season ruined by the next few matches I fear.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
when a single loss to a crap opponent becomes a trend we have serious cause for concern.....
Apparently we have won three of our last five games against League Two opposition.

Both before and after Monday's game Newport were in the top half of the table.

There seems to be an awful lot of angst about a 2-1 away defeat to a side in the top half of the table.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently we have won three of our last five games against League Two opposition.

Both before and after Monday's game Newport were in the top half of the table.

There seems to be an awful lot of angst about a 2-1 away defeat to a side in the top half of the table.
The angst is all about the perceived view of a number of supporters that this game would have been winnable had Tisdale put out a team and played with tactics which would have given us a sporting chance of doing just that.

Slogger

Slogger. If Tisdale could manipulate the results so that he won when he wanted to and lost when he wanted to do he really would be the greatest manager of all time. I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is he worries far too much about the opposition, even when they are clearly cr*p. Remember his "rubic cube" analogy. Another analogy would be chess player, but not always a very good one. We have 2 good wingers in Edwards and Holmes. Why doesn't he play them together? Maybe he thinks we'll get overrun in midfield, but we usually are overrun anyway!
analyzes, asks players to do what is not natural for them to fit in to his analysis of the game, farks around with the team too much, and waits too long when his plan is clearly going wrong. His overall win rate in 600 games is 38%.His overall goal difference is probably close to zero. These are not terrible statistics but they're pretty average ones. He has done good things for City at times, but rarely consistently. Some of our managers have been much worse than Tis, and some have been better, if we include results AND entertainment value. Why not just send out our best (attacking) team and let them play : sometimes they look scared to be in the wrong place or move forward.
He has manipulated them already hasn't he we were winning almost every game untill he changed the line up to accommodate Stockley that's still the same in my opinion.

He has manipulated them already hasn't he we were winning almost every game untill he changed the line up to accommodate Stockley that's still the same in my opinion.

Not just that though is it ?..........I really enjoyed watching us when Ollie and David were still with us, it wasn't a case of if we'll score/win each match but when and by how many.............how it's all changed again, lose two of our best scoring/creative/entertaining players, rarely playing the others long enough in a game to make a difference and now we're struggling....teams have found us out, we don't like being closed down and we have been fortunate with very late wins yet again this season to keep us in the chase.......miss Troy and his partnership with JMT......how different this team is now from last season.......I know Pardew has recalled all his loan boys back from all the clubs for a training review during transfer window to see who he'd keep etc but what we started with at Newport was just ponderous hoofball ........just hate all this hit & hope stuff.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slogger. If Tisdale could manipulate the results so that he won when he wanted to and lost when he wanted to do he really would be the greatest manager of all time. I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is he worries far too much about the opposition, even when they are clearly cr*p. Remember his "rubic cube" analogy. Another analogy would be chess player, but not always a very good one. We have 2 good wingers in Edwards and Holmes. Why doesn't he play them together? Maybe he thinks we'll get overrun in midfield, but we usually are overrun anyway!
I'll go one step further, Tis isn't overcautious - he's afraid. He's scared his players aren't good enough to beat anyone, he's afraid of the opposition and worries too much about them and what he perceives they could do to us, he's frightened to let his boys play more than one game a week. Hence the years of negative tactics. His fears transmit to the players and they lack belief in themselves. He bottled it at Anfield because he didn't trust the younger players. It's probably why he surrounds himself with safety, by that I mean old friends and tried and trusted former players and colleagues. How often do we go out all guns blazing and give the opposition the problems to solve like Luton do ?

Paul Tisdale, take the handbrake off. Let the players play, attack the opposition and if we go down fighting so be it.

That's me down off the fence.

GCHQ

Not just that though is it ?..........I really enjoyed watching us when Ollie and David were still with us, it wasn't a case of if we'll score/win each match but when and by how many.............how it's all changed again, lose two of our best scoring/creative/entertaining players, rarely playing the others long enough in a game to make a difference and now we're struggling....teams have found us out, we don't like being closed down and we have been fortunate with very late wins yet again this season to keep us in the chase.......miss Troy and his partnership with JMT......how different this team is now from last season.......I know Pardew has recalled all his loan boys back from all the clubs for a training review during transfer window to see who he'd keep etc but what we started with at Newport was just ponderous hoofball ........just hate all this hit & hope stuff.
Agreed, adding to this we used to have a respectable reputation for playing football 'the right way', however in recent years and this year more than ever, we have become a route one side, with our only gameplan seemingly being to get the ball to one of our centre-backs and hit it long to Stockley.