• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New SKy / EFL deal

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

Antony Moxey

I would have thought 50/25/25 would have been a fair split..The bottom 2 divisions are really being cut adrift with TV & sponsors money.
Not sure it is fair. No-one is interested in L1 or L2 beyond their own clubs’ supporters. I think it’s correct that viewing figures for L1 and L2 are pitifully low, it’s just not an attractive product to TV audiences nor does it offer a worthwhile return to sponsors. Indeed, if you compare the deal to the Premier League’s deal, basically no-one’s interested in football outside of the top division - not in Europe, not around the world, and that’s all the media and sponsors are interested in.

The only way we’ll realistically get any more is if the top division is even more successful and our small percentage works out to be from a bigger pie. That’s the basic economic truth of football in England in 2018.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure it is fair. No-one is interested in L1 or L2 beyond their own clubs’ supporters. I think it’s correct that viewing figures for L1 and L2 are pitifully low, it’s just not an attractive product to TV audiences nor does it offer a worthwhile return to sponsors. Indeed, if you compare the deal to the Premier League’s deal, basically no-one’s interested in football outside of the top division - not in Europe, not around the world, and that’s all the media and sponsors are interested in.

The only way we’ll realistically get any more is if the top division is even more successful and our small percentage works out to be from a bigger pie. That’s the basic economic truth of football in England in 2018.
Agreed, though I wouldn't go so far as to say no-one. As the EFL doesn't get much air time, of course few watch it. But it's inescapable that the TV companies know their audiences and will pay only what they think will make them a profit. So we and other L1 and L2 clubs are gonna have to be happy with the crumbs we get, while arguing for a few more crumbs.

But Andy Holt is naive if he thinks that many of the Championship clubs are not planning for a PL2. They'd be mad not to, if they think selfishly as most presumably do.

And as I have said on many occasions, it's the golden rule: the PL have got the gold so they want to make the rule.

On a related issue, the PL are fighting against a FA plan to reduce the number of overseas players (or alternatively increase the number of home players, widely defined) in squads. Currently 17 of the 25 can be overseas players, the FA want to make it 13.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/21/premier-league-rejects-fa-proposal-homegrown-quotas

Antony Moxey

You know what I mean, you don’t need to read ‘no-one’ absolutely literally. :)

TV audiences for L1 and L2 games are, I believe, minuscule, so relatively speaking, compared to the global demand for Premier League football, the interest in L1 and L2 is pretty negligible.

IndoMike

You know what I mean, you don’t need to read ‘no-one’ absolutely literally. :)

TV audiences for L1 and L2 games are, I believe, minuscule, so relatively speaking, compared to the global demand for Premier League football, the interest in L1 and L2 is pretty negligible.
I too thought you meant "no-one" when you said "no-one"....:D

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Further to John William's link earlier, one of yesterday's articles on this subject in The Guardian was accompanied by a photo taken from our very own Big Bank (although, sadly, before the erection of our marvellous NOG.)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/20/championship-clubs-concerned-efl-tv-deal-football-league

#cantbeatthequalitypress ;)

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Though interestingly it would appear from the limited data on the internet, not that much less than audiences for Championship games other than a select few like Leeds and Villa, and certainly not 80:20 in favour of the Championship.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Could this be another ITV Digital deal? Don't rely too much on the income!

DB9

Could this be another ITV Digital deal? Don't rely too much on the income!
Sky are not ITV Digital, They can cope with this deal, ITV Digital were a separate entity from ITV that's how ITV didn't have to either compensate the clubs or honour the deal

Oldsmobile-88

Sky are not ITV Digital, They can cope with this deal, ITV Digital were a separate entity from ITV that's how ITV didn't have to either compensate the clubs or honour the deal
Now that’s a blast from the past !...I had a ITV Digital box very good it was too.When they went bust I had a letter from their administrators offering me the box for a fee of £60(it was technically their property) with a phone number to pay by card.I phoned & told them to come & collect the box if they wanted it,unsurprising I never heard from them again..:D.
I continued to use the box for a few years.