• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

Boyo

And there you have it, A local Council that wants a piece of land (Colchester United FC's Layer Road) for obviously much needed housing, Worked with the football club to find a location to house a new stadium (Whether people like its location is irrelevent) and built one. Perhaps a long standing problem with us in Exeter is the relationship with the club and Council, If they really wanted SJP to redevelop then they would be more pro-active in finding a site. PS, Until we have the need for a new stadium i'm totally in favour of staying at SJP but in the end that decision maybe out of our hands since we don't own it.
I think potentially a big difference between ourselves and Colchester, is that there seems to be a desire among their fanbase to move. Indeed over 30k people signed a petition.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe, in 25 years time - the Council recently gave ECFC a new lease for that period.

I'll be 92 then so am not worried about this.
Yeah, I get that.
Its my perception that you're across the detail way more than I am JW, but the devil will be in the detail of any new lease agreement and who's to say there aren't caveats to that new lease which means that the Club's right to stay at SJP isn't as clear cut as you suggest. One of those caveats maybe the requirement to engage in and be subject to the City Councils 20 year strategic local plan for instance.

cannockred

Hi, apologies. I was wrong about the housing. The owner of the land also owned RUFC and wanted the land to do nefarious bits of recycling. Have a look at google maps of mill moor lane in rotherham. It's the real definition of a 5hithole. Booths are Europe's largest recyclers and have turnover in excess of £170 million pa.

The land and stadium were provided for rotherham and when I worked in rotherham the rumour was that ken booths sons wanted to sell part of the land for housing. The council refused. That caused booths to have a spat with the club. Rufc moved into New York in 2012 after 4 years of playing at don valley. That has also been demolished I understand.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, I get that.
Its my perception that you're across the detail way more than I am JW, but the devil will be in the detail of any new lease agreement and who's to say there aren't caveats to that new lease which means that the Club's right to stay at SJP isn't as clear cut as you suggest. One of those caveats maybe the requirement to engage in and be subject to the City Councils 20 year strategic local plan for instance.
Not any more, but I do have a background in this sort of stuff and the issues have not changed that much.

It's more likely that informal pressure rather than legal moves might influence ECFC in say 5 years time depending on what happens with CV etc.

I just hope the Trust Board and Membership stay robust in refusing any of this. We are the owners so in extremis have the veto, if we have the cojones to use it.

Ashford Grecian

I would personally HATE a new ground - it's looking really nice now and The BB is the best stand in the country....

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would personally HATE a new ground - it's looking really nice now and The BB is the best stand in the country....
Agreed.

If money ever permits I'd spend it on a small double decker stand at the away end and around the corner to join the NOG / SAS stand but otherwise am happy to leave SJP more or less as it is now, gap and all.

That would change if Network Rail or "Notwork Fail" as they are known, ever allowed us to have a flying freehold over the Jungle Path and extend the SASS a bit towards the Big Bank, but no-one expects them to change their mind.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe, in 25 years time - the Council recently gave ECFC a new lease for that period.

I'll be 92 then so am not worried about this.
And yet we are joining forces with the Council and other interested parties to explore the feasibility of possibly moving. Like you John I'll be very old in 25 years time and if i make it the main worry for me in any stadium will be a toilet that is near and a decent tartan rug to keep me warm watching City play.

Dannyred

The club doesn't need to own the ground or be in possession of £20m to move to a new stadium.
As I referenced to you yesterday, Colchester United in cahoots with its landlord Colchester Borough Council moved to a new stadium a few years back.
Well Done Tavyred, spot on and the fact the council know that the university would love that land at SJP it is possible that they would Help put the club in a new stadium but are the club interested in sitting down with the council or have they already ?

Boyo

Well Done Tavyred, spot on and the fact the council know that the university would love that land at SJP it is possible that they would Help put the club in a new stadium but are the club interested in sitting down with the council or have they already ?
Why on earth would the University want the land at SJP? They have plenty of their own land that could be used for development if they needed it. You are just making stuff up, again.

Fareham Grecian

Great take.

Except a) the university don’t want the land, why would they?
b) the fans don’t want a new stadium and therefore, because we own the club,
c) the club don’t want a new stadium.
Your fantasies and your pathological desire to attack our club get more deluded by the day.