• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Moving on to better things?

dandancityfan

Fair enough edwin. Maybe Ollie Watkins will prove the thesis wrong? The reality is though that in the last few years, we've shifted on what we thought were some really good players for decent money and they've been distinctly average for their new clubs. Just saying that maybe the management deserve some credit for that. Not a fashionable view on exeweb of course - I too totally understand that city should be a league 1 club pushing towards championship....

tonykellowfan

Seabourne was doing well until the nightclub attack.

dandancityfan

Luckily there's no nightclubs in Partick :D

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Players click at certain clubs but not at others sometimes. I think we have had some successes and our management deserves credit for it. The opposite is also true in some other cases. Will be delighted if we can continue to sell talent for decent money, and trying to balance that by getting to benefit from those players being with us as long as possible before we sell them.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grimes will still make it at the highest level.
Friend is captain of a very good Championship soon to be Prem side
Nichols is far too early to judge
Goss is on the fringes of Utds first team
Moxey is a decent Championship full back.

It seems to me most of them have done well. We haven't (yet) created a Luis Saurez but not many teams have.

GRECIAN_LDN

I'll give you Liam - always thought he was great for us and glad he's doing well at oxford. I maintain that Moxey and Friend have just done ok, but not really fulfilled the potential they showed with us. For comparison, I knew Moses Odubajo as a kid and he has progressed really well from Orient to Brentford to Hull and turned down Tottenham on the way. He'll be a prem league player next year without doubt. Noone wasn't even our player but he's only warming the bench at Cardiff, so hardly pulling up trees. Not sure where Hamon fits in tbh? Ridiculous examples I would say

Plenty of players make the step up and succeed - Jamie Vardy anyone?
I find your logic slightly flawed,

You agree that Sercombe has done well, but he is only playing in the same division as City at the moment. However you state Moxey, Friend and have only done "ok" despite both making PL appearances. Since Grimes left City he has played a higher level than Sercombe will ever play and earnt an U21 app for England. Wasn't Seaborne playing in the Championship before he was attacked and hospitalised? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I would say those mentioned above have done pretty well for themselves. I also strongly believe Grimes will be a regular starter in a PL side at some point in his career. The lad is only 21.

Last edited:

malcolms

Fair enough edwin. Maybe Ollie Watkins will prove the thesis wrong? The reality is though that in the last few years, we've shifted on what we thought were some really good players for decent money and they've been distinctly average for their new clubs. Just saying that maybe the management deserve some credit for that. Not a fashionable view on exeweb of course - I too totally understand that city should be a league 1 club pushing towards championship....
Mox's comments are closest to the truth...The reality is that the players we "move on" are rarely as good as some of the armchair coaches on here would have you believe. Combine that with a step up in class and you have the answer....

dandancityfan

It's not really about the "armchair coaches" and more about the money that real coaches are prepared to fork out for city players based on their performances for us. I've watched some terrible players in some terrible teams at SJP for more years than I care to remember. I am genuinely happy that we're now selling prospects to other clubs. The only point I'm trying to make is that maybe we are making them look slightly better than they really are. Obviously I appear to be in the minority view with this, but I'm still right :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

.......I maintain that Moxey and Friend have just done ok, but not really fulfilled the potential they showed with us.
Are you serious about George Friend? Vice Captain of a team currently in the automatic promotion places in the Championship, one of the Championships most highly rated players and adored by 'Boro fans. Also odds-on to be a Premier League player next season. What more do you want?

dandancityfan

I've already said that Friend is a really good player Pete - we all knew that from day one tbh. What's your take on Harley, Seaborne, Nichols, Grimes etc? I think it's great that we're producing some good players that attract interest from clubs higher up in the football pyramid. All I'm saying is that maybe we make them look a little bit better than they really are?