• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Most disliked or favourite football clichés

NilesCrane

110% is definately the worst because it is impossible to give 110% and makes the person sound stupid. Actually, even worse is when they try to up the number ....120% arrggghhhhhh!

My favourite cliches, as mentioned by a previous poster are all the non-league references during the FA Cup which are really patronising :

Butcher, Bakers, Candlestick Makers, jumpers for goalposts etc.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
When a player's agent is looking to engineer a move for his player to a certain club, the newspapers the following day have the back page headline: "Player issues 'come and get me' plea".

110% isn't necessarily impossible. The problem with the cliche is that they never say what the 110% is of. If it was 'he gave 110% of his maximum ability/effort' that would be impossible. If he gave 110% of his performance last game, that would be fine - i.e. a 10% improvement. Could also be he gave 110% of the average amount of effort for a player in his league.

LOG

110% isn't necessarily impossible. The problem with the cliche is that they never say what the 110% is of. If it was 'he gave 110% of his maximum ability/effort' that would be impossible. If he gave 110% of his performance last game, that would be fine - i.e. a 10% improvement. Could also be he gave 110% of the average amount of effort for a player in his league.
If you say so :)

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
One used on here an awful lot, in various forms: Nail on head, Nail. Hit. Head. etc etc.

Why not just say you agree with their opinion instead?
Nail on head MR M :)

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Harry Redknapp's was "put it in a brown envelope and leave it on my desk".
Old 'Arry has got more cliches than Exeweb.

PeteUSA

People on here who say "move on, nothing to see here!" ;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Adding the word "literally" to just about all the clichés mentioned here, nearly all the time wrongly.

"this player has literally only one foot", etc, etc.

NilesCrane

I love it when someone is trying to be more pedantic than me. Well done Student, this is good stuff. However, Whilst the other options you suggest are possible, you and I both know that the expression as used by football managers and players means 10% more than a perfect performance, which is impossible, because they don't tend to think in the terms "110% of the average amount of the effort for a player" etc. which you have raised here. (Not that I'm suggesting for one second that footballers are not educated).

Someone once said I put the 'A' in anal. I pointed out that there are two 'A's in anal.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone behind us on the Big Bank a few weeks ago suddenly erupted during the 2nd half: "Make the change Tisdale!" This has now become a cliche in jam jar towers.

Irritating (as is every other aspect of ITV's football coverage), though not really a cliche, is Clive Tyldsley's tick of 2 or 3 times a game referring to each of the players during a passing move by both their forename and surname...until the move breaks down. I find myself irrationally hoping for a mis-h*t pass every time he starts on this nonsense.

Alan Green patronising player/supporter(s)/whoever disagrees with his prejudices by calling them "son".

Every convoluted turn of phrase which so obviously doesn't trip off the tongue of the execrable Peter Drury...who clearly spends his evenings scripting his own 'off the cuff' expressions. Last night, he single-handedly dragged one of the most splendid evenings of football you could hope to see down into the gutter of bathos. Prat.