• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe away , somewhere to stay

shrimper

http://www.photostoday.co.uk/Gallery.aspx?GalleryID=8017

There's also a gallery of the Punk festivals, if you're interested. Might even spot Mr RtP.

Athelstan

When we played Morecambe away two seasons ago, I stayed in a bed and breakfast called the Clifton Hotel and thought it was very reasonable. I think it cost something like £25-£30 per night. It is on the seafront and I would definitely stay there again, although would probably ask for a room at the back of the hotel (as it is on the main road near a set of traffic lights, so you could hear cars idling then accelerating all night). OK it wasn't the Dorchester, but perfectly adequate for a night or two.

Although it was my one and only visit to Morecambe, there did seem to be a lot of work ongoing to regenerate the place and I have seen far worse seaside towns (St. Leonards-on-Sea, anyone? +o(). However, I loved the derelict building on the promenade (near the art deco Midland Hotel) with the words "GALLON OF TEA - £1.00!" painted in giant letters on the side.

Morecambe_Red

When we played Morecambe away two seasons ago, I stayed in a bed and breakfast called the Clifton Hotel and thought it was very reasonable. I think it cost something like £25-£30 per night. It is on the seafront and I would definitely stay there again, although would probably ask for a room at the back of the hotel (as it is on the main road near a set of traffic lights, so you could hear cars idling then accelerating all night). OK it wasn't the Dorchester, but perfectly adequate for a night or two.

Although it was my one and only visit to Morecambe, there did seem to be a lot of work ongoing to regenerate the place and I have seen far worse seaside towns (St. Leonards-on-Sea, anyone? +o(). However, I loved the derelict building on the promenade (near the art deco Midland Hotel) with the words "GALLON OF TEA - £1.00!" painted in giant letters on the side.
It was "Pot of Tea £1.59p" This has also been demolished as there are big plans for that area near the Midland Hotel.

Athelstan

I have checked my photos and it looks like we were both wrong - the sign said "JUG OF TEA £1.50", which puts a whole new slant on things.

Unless there were two such buildings! :-O

Morecambe_Red

I have checked my photos and it looks like we were both wrong - the sign said "JUG OF TEA £1.50", which puts a whole new slant on things.

Unless there were two such buildings! :-O
No just the one.

Building now demolished !

Morecambe_Red

In respect of Red the Papers fairly ignorant comparison of Lancaster and Morecambe it must be said it is not fair to compare the high street of one place with the run-down area of another town.
If RtP had ventured into some areas of Lancaster he would have found them to be like Beirut or The Gaza. Its not all culture and wine bars !

shrimper

... precisely. What we are saying (and what anyone with any sense would appreciate) is that you can find run-down areas in any town.
Morecambe had them - still does but thankfully fewer and fewer every year as we regenerate - as does Exeter, I'm sure.

But the town as a whole has a pleasant aspect, with some glorious views from a lovely promenade, a lot of very decent hotels/B&Bs, some good pubs and eating places and is only a very short trip to Lancaster which has more.

If you're making a weekend of it (or longer), you're also only an hour away from the Lake District or - if that kind of thing's your bag - Blackpool.

Anyway - make your own mind up, enjoy your trip up here and congratulations on a good start to the season...... (which, obviously, will come to a shuddering halt on Nov 22 but there you go).

MikeB

Well said, Morecambe Red and Shrimper.

Last edited:

MikeB

Have been asked to post the following:-

The York has had a refurb in the rooms and they can check us out at - www.yorkhotelmorecambe.co.uk

Also the best pre-match craic in town

Jimmydee

Thanks Athelstan and MikeB , really useful stuff.