• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mid season thoughts

GRECIAN_LDN

As we approach the midpoint of the season I'm intrigued to know everyones thoughts.

Looking at the positives, the FA Cup and league cup have been a relative success. However, I personally feel that the current league position isn't good enough.

At the beginning of the season I thought the play offs were a realistic expectation but after the last few weeks I feel that top half is more realistic. We have seen an unusual amount of injuries but as a consistently inconsistent side, mid table is a fair reflection of how we have preformed this season.

I am a Tisdale fan but I often find myself baffled his team selections.

Discuss...

DanceMagnet

We're looking like an average league two side. I think we have potential to be better, but we seem unable to keep our players fit, which isn't helped by the age of our midfield and the fact that we seem to be picking up a lot of injuries in training. I would normally agree regarding Tisdale's team selections but this season, I think his hands have been tied by the continuing injury list. This is probably the risk you take in signing injury prone players. I would rather see us get rid of 5 of the ageing injury prone players and sign two better players with better injury records. Of course, there are no guarantees. In the January transfer window, I'd at least be looking for a left back and some midfield cover.

At least the home performances have generally been better than in recent seasons, so I am relatively happy with that. It's a shame that our away form has dipped at the same time.

denzil

I am somewhat disappointed on the season so far. I am still concerned at our injury list - is it ever going to improve ?

oxford don

Same as last year...Mediocrity really...Lost some good players, last season and haven't replaced them with anything much better IMO...

I think we are a mid to lower table side and will be for a few seasons yet until we get some significant capital behind us.

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Same as last year...Mediocrity really...Lost some good players, last season and haven't replaced them with anything much better IMO...

I think we are a mid to lower table side and will be for a few seasons yet until we get some significant capital behind us.
What he says (rofl)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.

We have some significant capital behind us with the grimes sale and more on the way with the cup success. If that isn't enough to get us a serious tilt at promotion we will have to hope we can make other sales or keep up the new found cup pedigree. Don't see us making money any other way.

Avening Posse

Finding it entertaining thus far at the home games, and the cup games have been a pleasant surprise, I think our squad really ought to be at least in the play offs, like most seasons there are only 3 or 4 decent teams in our division, so making top 7 should happen. Most teams haven't got the likes of Holmes, Wheeler, Ribiero, Harley, Noble, JMT and others, so I haven't given up hope yet, but having less points than last season with a clearly stronger squad is worrying. I will be very disappointed this season if we don't make the play offs, but still think we probably will

GRECIAN_LDN

I think that we have made some decent signings this year, Troy, Holmes and Oyeleke are very good players for league 2.

I don't think we have a bad team but I agree that the 35+ squad seem to be a waste of a wage.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We probably need to win half our remaining games to do that. Agree we have seen more entertainment than previous seasons on the whole but we don't look like winning fifty percent of matches. Lack of consistency , and failure to exploit when we are playing well as well as injuries is what is holding us back.

Silver fox

How was Woodman Today?