• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Message to Both Boards.......

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure that is right Egg with the greatest of respect, There have been many stadiums and training grounds built where the club has had good relations with local councils, Some where councils have bought the leases, some forms of sponsorship of privately owned clubs by local authorities. If your business (Football club) is successful a council will want to be part of it, Call it bandwagon jumping but they still do.
Yes. Argyle.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes. Argyle.
Not just them although that is good local evidence, My point is there is no difference in a relationship between a club that's Trust run or privately owned and a local authority.

Jason

Yes. Argyle.
And closer to home, Exeter City Council bending over backwards to help Exeter Chiefs. Albeit that's rugby, but local authorities generally enjoy basking in the reflected glory of sporting success...

Mid Devon Grecian

And closer to home, Exeter City Council bending over backwards to help Exeter Chiefs. Albeit that's rugby, but local authorities generally enjoy basking in the reflected glory of sporting success...
What help did they give Chiefs?

Jason

What help did they give Chiefs?
As I recall they have assisted Chiefs a number of times with Planning related matters. Getting planning permission to build and expand Sandy Park. Permission to build a multistorey hotel, which at the least is very prominent in it's location. Permission to hold pop concerts etc etc.

denzel

As I recall they have assisted Chiefs a number of times with Planning related matters. Getting planning permission to build and expand Sandy Park. Permission to build a multistorey hotel, which at the least is very prominent in it's location. Permission to hold pop concerts etc etc.
So, no different to us, where they gave permission for the new stands and student accommodation.

Bit different to Argyle where the council.has actually given them money (or the academy or whatever)

DB9

So, no different to us, where they gave permission for the new stands and student accommodation.

Bit different to Argyle where the council.has actually given them money (or the academy or whatever)
TBF Denzel it really doesn't matter which council did or did not do to help, My point was Egg saying that a local authority would favour more to lend its support to a trust run club rather than a privately owned when I think the evidence isn't there to support that, Council's will do things to make them look good, It can come back to bite them on the arse like what happened to Northampton's council, There's no "Ethical" favour by a council to do things out of the goodness of their hearts, Just as long as they look good to their voters. How much has ECC done to help ECFC of the last couple of decades? Probably the bare minimum imo.

Colesman Ballz

The biggest skulduggery was over granting of Planning Permission for the Redevelopment of the County Ground. The sale of the CG for housing financially underpinned the whole Sandy Park process.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, but this is nonsense. If a planning application doesn't adhere to planning rules then it won't be approved; it won't be passed purely as a favour to the applicant, that's bordering on corruption.

Notwithstanding this, have an idea Sandy Park might be in East Devon and that any planning issues would, therefore, be considered by East Devon District Council and not Exeter City Council.

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
TBF Denzel it really doesn't matter which council did or did not do to help, My point was Egg saying that a local authority would favour more to lend its support to a trust run club rather than a privately owned when I think the evidence isn't there to support that, Council's will do things to make them look good, It can come back to bite them on the arse like what happened to Northampton's council, There's no "Ethical" favour by a council to do things out of the goodness of their hearts, Just as long as they look good to their voters. How much has ECC done to help ECFC of the last couple of decades? Probably the bare minimum imo.
Not sure that was exactly my point. Rather, I was trying to say that it's more difficult, albeit not impossible, for a public authority to lend support to a privately-run organisation than a public one – essentially, there are lots more hoops that have to be jumped through. For instance, I'd suggest it's extremely unlikely that Exeter City Council would have been able to find a mechanism to gift the Fountain Centre to the football club had it been privately owned.