• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT - Exeter City vs West Ham U21 - Checkatrade Trophy - 25/9/18

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As per the rules I wonder which 4 players will start who started last Saturday or will start this Saturday?

My guess would be Moxey, L Martin, Tillson, and Croll
I believe the rules are merely "qualifying players" rather than the previous rule around players starting previous / next fixtures. Players on loan are automatically "qualifying" players, so were Abrahams and Ogbene to start we'd only need to field two more.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Strange competition this In the past we never really gave much credence to it and thought it a distraction to the proper business, however I get the impression that Matt T wants to go out and attack every game looking to win, intersting comments from him about giving the West Ham youngsters some league two treatment and he has also gone and watched the opposition. This season I think we may be in this competition longer than previous ones.

And as Jason points out we don't have to field too many of our first team to comply with the rules.

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

I believe the rules are merely "qualifying players" rather than the previous rule around players starting previous / next fixtures. Players on loan are automatically "qualifying" players, so were Abrahams and Ogbene to start we'd only need to field two more.
Only loan players from teams with 'Category 1' Academies. Brentford shut their academy down, so Ogbene doesn't count.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Only loan players from teams with 'Category 1' Academies. Brentford shut their academy down, so Ogbene doesn't count.
Ah yes, seen that. I did, however, forget O'Shea, who would count.

Plus it's to do with the four outfield players, so keeping Pym in wouldn't count.

I *think* Oates counts as someone with more than 40 first team appearances.

So you could conceivably have Oates, O'Shea, Abrahams +1, then bung in the kids.

Corey

Abrahams and O’Shea (not O’Hara) both count towards the four players because they are from category 1 academies.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I *think* Oates counts as someone with more than 40 first team appearances.

So you could conceivably have Oates, O'Shea, Abrahams +1, then bung in the kids.
I regret to say Oates doesn’t count. The eligibility rules (post 32 on the Checkatrade thread) define first team fixtures by reference to Football League etc games. First team appearances in leagues below the football league don’t count. So it’s O’Shea, Abrahams plus TWO, then a free choice. Identifying the two is the tricky thing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The match day programme is free tonight. If I'd known that I might have gone tonight. :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I regret to say Oates doesn’t count. The eligibility rules (post 32 on the Checkatrade thread) define first team fixtures by reference to Football League etc games. First team appearances in leagues below the football league don’t count. So it’s O’Shea, Abrahams plus TWO, then a free choice. Identifying the two is the tricky thing.
Ah yes - although there is also the caveat "or international equivalents", which could rule Oates back in on account of his appearances for Central Coast Mariners.

Looking through our squad, I *think* the "qualifying players" are:

Sweeney, Woodman, O'Shea, A Martin, Moxey, Croll, Brown, Tillson, L Martin, Law, Taylor, Boateng, Holmes, Stockley, Forte, Abrahams, plus possibly Oates as above.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Team sheet. Starting XI: Hamon, Sweeney, O'Shea, Lee Martin, Forte, Jay, Oates, Abrahams, Ogbene, Collins, Dean
Subs: Norman, Tillson, Croll, Sparkes, Dodd, Dyer, Boateng

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
So from our Saturday starting line up only Sweeners proves indispensable and at centre half? Hope we're not wearing him out.

Last edited: