• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

May 3rd 2003

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just wanted to make a point before next Saturday's game. On the afternoon of May 3rd 2003 , in a season that include two chairman who nearly drove the club to ruin, Micheal Jackson, David Blaine and the Uri Geller sideshow, we where relegated as everyone knows after 74 years of league football.
You remember the hurt that day? The pain of the relegation to a footballing wilderness. A complete unknown non-league or if we'd even have a club.
Think back to 4.55 May 3rd. When it took all of 3 months to run out against Halifax to make that pain go away. You remember going home that day thinking "what is going to happen to my club. MY Club"
The pain I went through that day was no worse than any Exeter City fan (though I was stranded here in Ireland) and though from a sporting scenario I'd never endure such pain again. But I did. Failed promotion attempts, wembley v Morecambe and five years when to be honest I thought we'd never play league football again.
You remember 4.55 on 20th May 2007 - when we'd lost to Morecambe and that gut wrenching pain coming back from Wembley (or on here on Exeweb) wondering "Lord are we every going to see League football again?"
Do you remember that awful tension one year later as we took the field v Cambridge just to get into League 2.
League 2. To some it feels like a massive comedown here.
Do you remember the 18th May 2008 when we where happy with League 2 having finally gotten our league status back. The pride you felt.
I remember being in The Green Man after the game hugging Graham Kirk & Stuart James and bursting with pride to the point of tears signing "WE ARE FOOTBALL LEAGUE"
And we will be next year.
It's not a rallying cry. I think or fate may be sealed and it'll kill me to see us relegated but I remember. I remember that for as many people slag, snigger or laugh at my club next week that I, like you, have seen darker days at our beloved club.
It's not about playing Plymouth next season , avoiding Torquay United, or manager or any suit. It's about remembering that WE are they ones who's strived to make sure this club is still here and come what may, good or bad, League 1 , 2 or Conference that its still here . Thats a fact no club has even succeeded in nor can be taken away from us.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great post brian. Wholeheartedly agree

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Top, top shout there Brian...

...and, before the "doom & gloomers" take over this thread (& the BB next Saturday :( )...remember

IT'S STILL IN OUR OWN HANDS!!!

UTC
[ecfc]

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Hmm, yes it won't be anywhere near as bad as 2003 if we do go down, but a real punch in the gut still.

I really don't want to miss out on Argyle, it's about bloody time we had 'em again. This week is going go be hell it's the hope that kills you. FFS City please just get through this.

Grecian Max

Top, top shout there Brian...

...and, before the "doom & gloomers" take over this thread (& the BB next Saturday :( )...remember

IT'S STILL IN OUR OWN HANDS!!!

UTC
[ecfc]
Too right it is, just hope we City do the business. I can assure you the BB will be the place to be if we do manage it

The Firm

As said before, this would not be anywhere near as bad as 2003, but I will be crossing everything in the last 5 mins if we are 1-0 up!

Phil Sayers

Ironic that dark day turned out to be the best thing ever to happen to this club.

Ian_Woodward

I wasn't a massive City fan back then so think i would be more gutted this time around plus i really want to play Argyle again. Also a year ago today was that day at Rotherham, gone very quick!

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great post Brian and one from the heart. Come what may, we will still be playing league football.

CITY TIL I DIE!!
[ecfc]

LOG

If we go down, we go down.

It wont be like this though, innit.