• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have answered your own question...

The Anfield sign is special because most avid sports fans are aware of it. The players that have walked under that sign, the legends that have touched it... It's a very special part of Anfield and a was originally installed by Bill Shankley.

The signs before the current one installed by Bill, said ''Welcome To Anfield'' however Shankley changed it to This Is Anfield has made all players touch the sign before a game.

It oozes with history
It's just a sign at a football ground, there's nothing special about it, especially if you're not a Liverpool fan or a fan of football in general.

Boyo

Volumes about what? I know where it is because it gets shown quite a bit on the telly when Liverpool are at home, I wouldn't know the first thing about it if I wasn't a football fan so I'm not entirely sure what volumes it's speaking. I also know where the sign in the local park is that says keep off the grass, I guess that's iconic and speaking volumes too.
LOL. Yep, ok. Your local park sign is iconic, whilst the Anfield sign that is recognised around the world isn't special.

Antony Moxey

LOL. Yep, ok. Your local park sign is iconic, whilst the Anfield sign that is recognised around the world isn't special.
It isn't recognised around the world though. No-one without an interest in Liverpool or football could care less about it. There are many things in this world that are special, a sign at a football ground isn't one of them.

Boyo

It isn't recognised around the world though. No-one without an interest in Liverpool or football could care less about it. There are many things in this world that are special, a sign at a football ground isn't one of them.
There are billions of football fans in the world and millions of Liverpool fans all over the globe.

Alistair20000

Ah the joys of Exeweb

A debate about the importance or not of a sign :)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah the joys of Exeweb

The thread is crying out for an agreed working definition of "special".

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are billions of football fans in the world and millions of Liverpool fans all over the globe.
You are correct with your numbers, but at the end of the day its just a sign. Its not one of the seven wonders of the world or anything else spectacular to look at. When foreign tourists visit the UK, even if they're passionate football fans they're not thinking, we must go to Anfield and see the sign, in fact I'd advise any foreign tourists to stay as far away from Liverpool as possible.

andrew p long

Ah the joys of Exeweb

Shall we have a poll?

(looks nervously over shoulder expecting to see Hants ready to point out the this is off topic)

denzel

You are correct with your numbers, but at the end of the day its just a sign. Its not one of the seven wonders of the world or anything else spectacular to look at. When foreign tourists visit the UK, even if they're passionate football fans they're not thinking, we must go to Anfield and see the sign, in fact I'd advise any foreign tourists to stay as far away from Liverpool as possible.
Actually you'd be surprised. I suspect there are a number of tourists who come to the UK specifically to see their beloved team, including a stadium tour, where at Anfield the sign is probably one of the highlights.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Actually you'd be surprised. I suspect there are a number of tourists who come to the UK specifically to see their beloved team, including a stadium tour, where at Anfield the sign is probably one of the highlights.
Loads of tourists visit Liverpool. I'd strongly recommend it. Loads go on the stadium tour. I'd give it a swerve, but each to their own.