• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
MT will always be one of my favourite City managers. However I hate Bristol Rovers Probably stemming from the fact I don't like batteries and coins being thrown at me. So I don't want Rovers to do well under any manager. It's a bit like if KMT took over at muff. I don't think many would want muff to do well even if KMT was manager. Someone said that it would of been better for MT if Rotherham had been relegated in that first season and I tend to agree with this allowing him to rebuild and gain experience in League One. I was stiil surprised that he was sacked as they went down with Warne and kept him on. Can perfectly understand why he went to Rotherham. Bonner I believe was 1st choice and he stiill ended up being sacked by Cambridge though I don't think MT would of ever been sacked by City. Agree with Grecian Max he needs to find the right fit Club wise and Rovers IMO are not it. I think Bradford would be ideal for KMT. Could really go up the Leagues with them.
When were these batteries and coins thrown? I'm guessing it was a long time ago. The fanbase will have moved on. I could similarly say I hate Orient for their fans ambushing us outside Brisbane Road in the 1980s..

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
When were these batteries and coins thrown? I'm guessing it was a long time ago. The fanbase will have moved on. I could similarly say I hate Orient for their fans ambushing us outside Brisbane Road in the 1980s..
Personally I still have the mental scars from when Colchester fans attacked the Cowshed and burnt the flag. Someone help me out with the year as you have given me flashbacks lol

roger wellman

I'm going to say 1983 but could be 84. One nil defeat. Anyway we are all conditioned by are personal experiences.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not bitter about it, I just thought at the time it was unwise and now feel I'm being proved right. And no-one likes a smartarse :)
Going to Rotherham was definitely the right choice for MT imho and tbh one I would have taken in his shoes

Going to Bristol was questionable though but if he can push them towards the playoffs next season then he's gone a good job imho. Bristol Rovers think they're something special, which they aren't, but with the right backing he could do something special there

Colesman Ballz

Agree with Grecian Max he needs to find the right fit Club wise and Rovers IMO are not it. I think Bradford would be ideal for KMT. Could really go up the Leagues with them.
I recall seeing some views over their ownership on a Bradford forum. They are owned by German investors and questions were raised on lack of involvement. As a club they come across as a comatose sleeping giant with some potential, certainly to a Championship level, but they seem stuck in League 2.

arthur

I recall seeing some views over their ownership on a Bradford forum. They are owned by German investors and questions were raised on lack of involvement. As a club they come across as a comatose sleeping giant with some potential, certainly to a Championship level, but they seem stuck in League 2.
Anyway we are all conditioned by are personal experiences.
Not so much by personal experiences as by formative years - second best club in Bradford. (And City a third division club of course):)

1712834156187.png

Bridgy 81

But they’ve still got more ambition than City.
Well, according to Derek Adams in 2021 anyway.

Grecian Max

No issue with Rovers at all, used to lived next door to the Mem at Uni and have a few Rovers friends. Been in the home terrace a few times and it's a very similar experience to the Bank in terms of the people around you, felt familiar - unlike Bristol City

I like them, rough round the edges but their fans are loyal and continue to turn up despite behind the unfashionable team in Bristol.

When I say they're a weird old club, they're strange in the way that they have potential but never seem to be able to really move forward.

elginCity

Interesting this discussion - ‘should MT have taken the Gas job, or not ?’. Only recently sacked, stock not overly high, guessing there wouldn’t have been a number of offers to pick and choose from.

Waiting for the ‘right fit’ to come along might prove to be a very long wait !

roger wellman

Worse case outcome gets sacked by Rovers and there's still a vacancy at muff. Too far south perhaps?