• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I found myself usually agreeing with you in the latter Tisdale years so I know we were aligned on that which is why I find the over defence did GC a bit of contrast

I think Caldwell has done a good job all in all this year and have said as much

Much preferred the MT football but that’s just having good taste 😉
Didn’t a lot of us just grow weary of the ‘Tis bullcrap and view him negatively because of that?
GC has only been here 5 minutes! 🤷‍♂️

Bridgy 81

I wonder what it is that dictates a Manager’s preferred philosophy?
Looking at our last two bosses both Matt Taylor and Gary Caldwell were no-nonsense centre backs in their playing days, but seem to have a very different idea about how they want their teams to set up now they’re in charge.
I guess in part Matt’s style was the one most likely to get us out of the hurly-burly of League 2 and he wasn’t really with us long enough in League 1 to see whether his thoughts on that may have changed a bit.
I think perhaps it’s more down to the level that they played most of their football at?
i.e. Matt’s mostly non league, some L2/L1 and a bit in the Championship but Gary’s Scottish and English Premier League and internationally.
Although I seem to recall GC saying he subsequently worked at both Newcastle and Manchester City in a coaching or maybe player loan management capacity so it’s possible their style impressed and rubbed off on him.
Whether our quite technical method is the optimum one to choose when you’re currently a lower mid-table L1 club with a modest budget is I suppose a different question.

elginCity

Listening to GC it sounds as though he was as frustrated as me about the way City played after scoring. For 6 minutes we totally bossed it passing quickly and accurately. Then we slowed down and started losing our way. Must have the mindset to get to 3-0 which in nearly all cases can't be caught.
Agree, 3-0, we don’t want to fall into the ‘settling for a 2-0 lead’ trap either.

Cliche Alert

grecIAN Harris

I’m trying to remember my eventual problem with Tisdale, and I’m laying myself wide open to ridicule if someone takes the time to search for my utterances at the time, but my major problem with him was his attitude to the club and supporters over his many seasons here, this manifested itself in an arrogance and a highly entitled attitude that I grew to dislike intensely, no doubt that dislike spilled over in criticism of the dull football we had to suffer towards the end of his reign here.
On your first point, so various factors can dictate how a manager sets his team up and we shouldn’t unduly paint GC as an advocate of boring football per se?

Edit.
Ooh, you added a bit.
I liked KMT until he fecked off, and before he could be tested at this club and at THIS level.
I’m just highlighting now that a fella lauded here as a legend for his exploits a league lower, is like GC was now getting slated for boring ineffective football, and with a better squad of footballers incidentally. 🤷‍♂️
Watch out Tavy, you'll be joing me on Maxi's naughty step soon. He will be blaming you for his inability to 'engage' with you.😆

StudentGrecian

Feck me he has had one January window in charge of Rovers. Weird that those who are quick to call MT a failure are the same ones who were pleading for our manager to be given another window to put the mess of the summer window right.

Never understand why some individuals take it so personally when someone leaves for a better opportunity. Suppose you all still think Kellow is w*nker for moving to Blackpool? Bastin for joining Arsenal? Watkins to Brentford?

No? The bloke is a City legend on and off the field, just because he now manages a team in our league doesn't change that.

Grecian Max

Didn’t a lot of us just grow weary of the ‘Tis bullcrap and view him negatively because of that?
GC has only been here 5 minutes! 🤷‍♂️
It was a number of things for me, character being one

Caldwell has already been here 18 months

If you’ve enjoyed the football for the majority of the season then fair play, I’m not one to kink shame

paperclip

wrong thread

Rosencrantz

I think it shows how difficult it can be taking over a team mid-season, particularly when the two managers play quite different styles and the team is in no imminent danger of relegation, from which Rovers pulled away from early on when Matt took over and have been comfortably mid table ever since. That normally encourages the new manager to implement more of his plans with a view to the following season and seeing what he has to work with. Over the last ten games, City have gained five points over Rovers and whilst their form isn't relegation from it is lower mid table form and I would quite fancy City to look at being above Rovers at season's end based on that.

It just shows that whatever style of football is implemented, if it isn't quite working, then it can become boring to watch, especially if the results are below par. As ever it comes down to patience and allowing a manager time and transfer windows to build towards what he wants. That patience though is becoming increasingly rare in English football with owners and fans alike.

tavyred

It was a number of things for me, character being one

Caldwell has already been here 18 months

If you’ve enjoyed the football for the majority of the season then fair play, I’m not one to kink shame
I must one of the weird ones who derive a strange pleasure from seeing us attempting and struggling to win at a level we usually can’t compete at.
I’d much rather see us put in a turgid display against the likes of Derby and perhaps sneak a win, than the situation a years back when we were playing a team from a council estate in Manchester.

fred binneys head

I’m with you Tavy, I’ve enjoyed many of the games I’ve watched this season (not all of them - Derby away 😳) and it is down to what you say. I really enjoyed the Derby home game for instance.