• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mmm, "how long before Matt Taylor is relieved of his duties?" Far too long for the title of this thread to be relevant.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's a familiar voice on this week's Official EFL podcast.

Average Joe

Mmm, "how long before Matt Taylor is relieved of his duties?" Far too long for the title of this thread to be relevant.
I think we should have the title changed. In my opinion it's disrespectful

andrew p long

Probably not, Rotherham will always be underdogs at that level and I think just staying in that league is success in it's own right.
Indeed. Even the talented Paul Warne, who got them promoted from League One 3(?) times couldn't keep them up in the Championship. And Warne got the big job at Derby on the back of that record.

So *if* Rotherham do stay up then MT will have done well.

DC1982

Today I put a bet on in the ground, which I did as a bit of a novelty and also had a bit of a hunch (5-0 Wednesday 28/1 FYI). The guy who took my bet questioned my authenticity as a City fan off the back of this, then we got into a conversation and he said you can have your manager back if you want. Turns out he was a Rotherham fan, he likened MT to Nathan Jones in that certain managers are suited to certain clubs and that he just didn’t fancy him at Rotherham despite liking him as an individual. I defended him as I loved MT and thank him eternally for what he did for our club and especially his genuine commitment and was really sad when he left. Of course this is just one person’s opinion who I met for a brief conversation, but I naively hoped their fanbase would be backing him as realistically what did they expect from him this season? If he keeps them up, which I believe he will, then I’d back him to make progress next season. I guess it’s similar in some ways to our situation, with a few Caldwell doubters still existing. At the moment we’re feeling disappointed because we have come up marginally short in games against the very best teams and biggest clubs in the division, but at the start of the season I would have taken that scenario, as there was the potential/fear that we would get totally blown away in these fixtures. I saw a stat recently where there was only a handful of teams in the Premier League and EFL who had not been beaten by 3+ goals (in the league) and of the 92, we were one of those teams. Competitive. Which was my main hope at the start of the season. Hope this hasn’t gone too much off thread but did start with an MT observation which went off on a tangent!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today I put a bet on in the ground, which I did as a bit of a novelty and also had a bit of a hunch (5-0 Wednesday 28/1 FYI). The guy who took my bet questioned my authenticity as a City fan off the back of this, then we got into a conversation and he said you can have your manager back if you want. Turns out he was a Rotherham fan, he likened MT to Nathan Jones in that certain managers are suited to certain clubs and that he just didn’t fancy him at Rotherham despite liking him as an individual. I defended him as I loved MT and thank him eternally for what he did for our club and especially his genuine commitment and was really sad when he left. Of course this is just one person’s opinion who I met for a brief conversation, but I naively hoped their fanbase would be backing him as realistically what did they expect from him this season? If he keeps them up, which I believe he will, then I’d back him to make progress next season. I guess it’s similar in some ways to our situation, with a few Caldwell doubters still existing. At the moment we’re feeling disappointed because we have come up marginally short in games against the very best teams and biggest clubs in the division, but at the start of the season I would have taken that scenario, as there was the potential/fear that we would get totally blown away in these fixtures. I saw a stat recently where there was only a handful of teams in the Premier League and EFL who had not been beaten by 3+ goals (in the league) and of the 92, we were one of those teams. Competitive. Which was my main hope at the start of the season. Hope this hasn’t gone too much off thread but did start with an MT observation which went off on a tangent!
As a doubter of GC, I think doubters will always exist, all largely for different reasons. I know people whom never rated or liked Taylor, despite promotion last season and consistent progression on the pitch and the introduction of the young youth players into the side. It is natural across thousands of fans that some people won't like managers or players and others will like. Whether it is personality, style of play, interview style etc. Numerous reasons why people like or dislike.

Most people will be tolerate though if the club is winning and being successful, even if they have misgivings as we saw with Taylor, Tisdale (Earlier years).

With Taylor, I genuinely could listen to him talk about football for days. His hour or so long interview about last season was just immense imho, where as others probably hated it.

I am still not 100% convinced by GC personally (I Know everyone will be shocked to hear that), but, he has done enough to deserve the chance to re-build the side for next season and for me to give him 10-15 games into next season. I think I am sat back on the fence with regards to GC albeit leaning towards not convinced, but he has done enough to deserve a chance over the summer and into early next season.

The ball is firmly in GC's court now to prove he can for the first time in his career build his own side, playing his preferred style and being successful in doing that. That is going to be a very tough ask, with the quality he is going to have to replace in the summer, but this is GC's chance to show he can make a success of being our manager, if he cannot do so with us, then I cannot see him getting another gig at league one level again.

The pressure on him, Flitcroft and the club to get this summer right and then for GC to be able to implement it. The pressure is huge for GC, Because GC doesn't have previous success to fall back upon with the fanbase and as we saw earlier in the season when things weren't going well, people quickly got on top of him.

I also do not think the club will shy away from removing this time if things are going badly wrong. I genuinely think GC (Please take this as by City's standards), is under the most pressure of any City manager from within the club since the trust took over, Because there is nothing in the bank yet with achievements.

We shall see where we are 10-15 games into next season.

Lets hope for two resounding wins against Ipswich and Morecambe to fire us into next season.

STURTZ

Caldwell has always deserved to have a full year before being judged as a manager. So far he's done well in difficult circumstances and there is promise there, but we should give him a close season and see what the line up and attitude is next year before passing comment.

Grecian Max

With Taylor, I genuinely could listen to him talk about football for days. His hour or so long interview about last season was just immense imho, where as others probably hated it.

I loved Taylor and want him to return at some point (can 100% see this happening)

Not sure about listening to him for days though, I usually skipped his interviews as they were very samey - which wasn't a problem as he excelled in the dugout

Grecianman135

Thanks for looking this out.
In fairness, the article starts: in their home game with QPR….Remind me, who manages them….
Absolutely hate Ainsworth absolute anti-footballing god...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Went to the Bristol City - Rotherham game on Saturday (as part of a stag do) and it was strange seeing Matt Taylor as manager of another side, like looking at your ex with her new bloke!

The Rotherham fans seem to like him, they sang 'we've got super Matty Taylor' a lot.