• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

i8cornwall

Better listen out for the all clear siren i8, But you better get some provisions in, It might be a while! :LOL:
l’m fully stocked up down there from years of experience on this site 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am generally loyal to our managers while they are with us, be it Appleton,(did equal the most draws in a season record) Cooper Ball Tisdale or Taylor.

With Matt he has kept us interested and challenging for both of the seasons he has currently been in charge, missed out on the playoffs by one goal be it the final game against FGR or even the Grimsby game where we threw the kitchen sink at them and still managed to lose, but we were still in there right up 'til the final match, and last season we were in the top three for most part and were due a decent run of games before football stopped, in the end we made the play off finals, wrong tactics or whatever we were embarrassingly overalled by Northampton so no promotion.

However one or two matches shouldn't define a man's career, the important part to me is that we have been fighting and in the mix for the two seasons he has been in charge.

Covid has changed what we know about our finances and in some ways, I feel it was fortunate that we didn't get promoted last season looking at what we can and cannot afford this season. To say that we should part ways after this coming season, (which is very much a transitional one with a mix of youth and experience) if we don't get promoted is unrealistic, unless of course we do get a shed load of bucks from Ollie's transfer and he blows it on signings similar to Forte and Ajose then we would have to review his position, in the current climate mid table would be good although with the nucleus of last season's squad I am hoping for better

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am generally loyal to our managers while they are with us, be it Appleton,(did equal the most draws in a season record) Cooper Ball Tisdale or Taylor.

With Matt he has kept us interested and challenging for both of the seasons he has currently been in charge, missed out on the playoffs by one goal be it the final game against FGR or even the Grimsby game where we threw the kitchen sink at them and still managed to lose, but we were still in there right up 'til the final match, and last season we were in the top three for most part and were due a decent run of games before football stopped, in the end we made the play off finals, wrong tactics or whatever we were embarrassingly overalled by Northampton so no promotion.

However one or two matches shouldn't define a man's career, the important part to me is that we have been fighting and in the mix for the two seasons he has been in charge.

Covid has changed what we know about our finances and in some ways, I feel it was fortunate that we didn't get promoted last season looking at what we can and cannot afford this season. To say that we should part ways after this coming season, (which is very much a transitional one with a mix of youth and experience) if we don't get promoted is unrealistic, unless of course we do get a shed load of bucks from Ollie's transfer and he blows it on signings similar to Forte and Ajose then we would have to review his position, in the current climate mid table would be good although with the nucleus of last season's squad I am hoping for better
By his actions (being Captain, serving his City management 'apprenticeship', getting us to near / in pay offs & not leaving for Lincoln) Matt has showed that 'Once a Grecian ALWAYS a Grecian' and therefore, in my opinion, deserves much time from us the fans.
By his own admission he is still learning and sadly, given financial effects of Covid 19 on our fan owned club (No 'Sugar Daddy' I'm afraid like Salford etc!) I feel that anything above surviving in L2 is a plus this season with the hope that our youngsters kick on next season.
It may sound strange but I really hope we keep Matt until he completes the "job I have to do".
UTC & keep faith with Matt.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
People often talk about clubs having a sugar daddy or clubs chucking money about like confetti.

Look at most teams in league 2, they aren't doing this, many are struggling and many will really really struggle over the next year or two.

People need to move on from the sugar daddy argument as it's become very very lame.

dommers

unless of course we do get a shed load of bucks from Ollie's transfer and he blows it on signings similar to Forte and Ajose then we would have to review his position
Which is very much my fear given we've had bigger budgets in the last two years and are no further forward.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which is very much my fear given we've had bigger budgets in the last two years and are no further forward.
Why not say the near last decade we're no further foward since relegation from L1? Not saying some of his signings have been the best but all managers have made signings that turn out to be pants

dommers

Why not say the near last decade we're no further foward since relegation from L1? Not saying some of his signings have been the best but all managers have made signings that turn out to be pants
I refer you to the post heading about our current manager and him being in post for 2 years.

DB9

I refer you to the post heading about our current manager and him being in post for 2 years.
Exactly right dommers, Two years in charge and we are still a L2 club, First year he started late due to managerial and other backroom staff changes, Second year, Season cut short in March, Who knows what would of happened if we finished the 46 games but alas we wont.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
People often talk about clubs having a sugar daddy or clubs chucking money about like confetti.

Look at most teams in league 2, they aren't doing this, many are struggling and many will really really struggle over the next year or two.

People need to move on from the sugar daddy argument as it's become very very lame.
Don't thinks its lame just look at what Salford, FGR et al have been doing even before the salary cap was in place. They all have Sugar Daddies in one form or another. UTC

DB9

Don't thinks its lame just look at what Salford, FGR et al have been doing even before the salary cap was in place. They all have Sugar Daddies in one form or another. UTC
And still not garunteed success, Think what TPC is saying in our league the "Sugardaddy" thing is not what most people think, Ok some of the teams mentioned have bought a few players but even their combined costs in wages etc is still less than the price of a couple of players weekly wage in the PL, They have the real definition of Sugardaddy, Not in L2.