• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Grimes

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What with Ryan Harley becoming part of Swansea’s Management Team it’s got me thinking about Matt Grimes.
He’s still only 28 and has a contract there until summer 2027.
He’s their Captain and has only missed 4 Championship matches for them in the last 4 seasons.
Skillful and durable.
What a career he’s having.
3 x Grecians at Swansea - brilliant !
Up The Democratic City

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gosh! I see that Ryan Harley and Matt Grimes played a handful of games together for City toward the end of 2014, just before Matt joined Swansea. And Ryan was being signed to replace Matt, even though he was (and is!) ten years older!

What happened was Ryan was brought in on loan at the end of November 2014. When Grimes left on 2 January 2015 Harley's contract at Swindon was cancelled allowing him to join City on an 18 month deal. That was how -in those days and under the then rules - permanent replacements could be brought in outside transfer windows - sign on loan at any time, then make the deal permanent once the transfer window opens. If only those rules still applied this season....

Stelios

Matt promoting the 'Tackling Cancer Together' campaign at Swansea

JamieEcfc

Seen a lot of talk about him on Twitter/X about his impact at Swansea and being regarded as a legend there, they hold him in such high regard and has numerous South Wales Derby wins under his belt now

Interesting that Southgate said that “But it’s also the area where we don’t have a midfield organiser with the ball, like Jorghino, Busquets, Kroos or Modric.”

Whilst he wouldn’t be that calibre of player, I do wonder how he would fit in ahead of a Jordan Henderson who’s Ajax have only won 2/11 games hes played since joining and had still been called up whilst in the Saudi league is still getting calls up when Grimes hasn’t to my knowledge been considered other than by Swansea fans themselves

cambmike

Seen a lot of talk about him on Twitter/X about his impact at Swansea and being regarded as a legend there, they hold him in such high regard and has numerous South Wales Derby wins under his belt now

Interesting that Southgate said that “But it’s also the area where we don’t have a midfield organiser with the ball, like Jorghino, Busquets, Kroos or Modric.”

Whilst he wouldn’t be that calibre of player, I do wonder how he would fit in ahead of a Jordan Henderson who’s Ajax have only won 2/11 games hes played since joining and had still been called up whilst in the Saudi league is still getting calls up when Grimes hasn’t to my knowledge been considered other than by Swansea fans themselves
I'm a great fan of Matt. Always remember my boss, a Cambridge supporter, picking him out after the match. Also like by 2 friends who follow Swansea.

Not a ginger magician but keeps the play running for a team.