• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Match Off

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
(Bit like the asbestos roof of their toilet block in the away end when some one ;) in 1996 refused to be locked out, but thats another story).
C'mon Rog, you can tell us. Why did they insist on locking you out, whereby you refused to comply? You can tell us, you're amongst friends here. *-)

Antony Moxey

Well, I'm off to bed now, but I shall be exceedingly annoyed if I wake up to learn that the match referee made the trip early to SJP, and called it off upon arrival, pausing only to pick up his expenses as he drove home. He doesnt get a match fee but the mileage he clocks up (here and back) sets us back an arm and a leg!
Isn't it often the case that a local referee can carry out the inspection rather than having the actual match ref travel unecessarily?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Does this game get a matchday thread?
Game finished about 5 mins ago City won by an incredible 8-3 and one of theirs was an own goal by Troy couldnt be helped really he tried to clear but it caught the side of the base and went in
Harley got 2 blinders Sercs bundled 1 in off the post and the goalie fumbled Tully's shot to go just over the line, Wilson and Perryman went head to head about the decision and both got sent to stands just before half time

Second half was slow to start with Swindon trying to out pace City but some of the flick-ons were judged to be illegal moves and had a player sent off City piled on the misery with a decent lob forward from Jones right into the path of Dunne who had a great run forward being brought down in the box for a pen up stepped Dunne once more to fire home a top corner shot that no one could have stopped Bertie also had a fine chance of a second half goal before being subbed for Noble who did the business from a free kick just outside the box and within 3 minutes he doubled his score, Swindon just knew the last goal was only a matter of time when Harley passed the ball across the the face of the goal to be met by Cureton running in
Crowd trouble after the game was due to someone pinching the last turkey sandwich and cctv footage was sent to the local plod for any further arrests that need to be taken

mdg

disappointed

shame for all those people who went up the park, to clear the place

Rog H K

C'mon Rog, you can tell us. Why did they insist on locking you out, whereby you refused to comply? You can tell us, you're amongst friends here. *-)
"I'll tell you Pete but nobody else"!
It was the last game of 95-96 seasoon at Deepdale. Preston top of the Old 4th Div. Sell out crowd. Exeter fans told not to worry as they can all be accommodated.
come 2:00pm gates were slammed closed, the away end was mostly full with PNE fans. Coaches turn up and 150-200 Exeter fans locked out + lots of PNE season ticket holders! PNEFC/Police/Stewards were AWOL didn't care a sh*t about us, blatently lied to we were. I was told they didn't know they were PNE fans going in away end. The fact they had PNE stamped on their fore head and wearing PNE scarves shirts hats etc wasn't a big enough clue! It was every City fan for himself. I heard a story of 6 City going through the home changing room window only to find the door locked, they then unscrewed the door from the hinges and got in. Lots of stories since, too many to mention. Me? I um, accidently lifted myself onto the turnstile wall and was told to get down by a man on a big horse, so I did and wen't for a hop skip and a jump. To anyone who may have been going for a dump as the roof collapsed under every step I took. eerr Sorry! :$

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Shots are still playing according to the bbc website,Paul...;)
There game has now also been postponed.

Hopefully this is the end of the postponements. Don't want to end up with a fixture pile-up.

scottus86

Seriously, that was the case in my day, but I think thats changed now since many referee's used to insist on travelling a long distance so that that they could pick up expenses etc. even though they had been forwarned that the game could never happen!

Obviously nobody knows yet what the postponement sequence of events were, but I would hope the decision was taken by City's own groundstaff, who would know better than anyone else whether a game of football could be played. That being said, I'd be interested to know why that decision was made, since there is no local referee qualified enough who could be called in to declare the pitch unfit.
Apart from the one who ran the line at the world cup final? Maybe?

Grecian2K

Given that it currently still MINUS 7 coupled with horrible fog (down here in St Thomas at least) probably a wise decision :(

PS: Incidentally, the Exe is frozen right over as well - poor l'il duckies and swans eh?

Oldsmobile-88

Just as well maybe..Still -5 with freezing fog chucked in as well at the moment..

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't it often the case that a local referee can carry out the inspection rather than having the actual match ref travel unecessarily?
As we know Ant, that is the case. Obviously, Pete wants to pick holes with everything and think we should have the game off :cool: