• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Massive financial losses this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian1966

MESSAGE FOR TRUSTEES

We elect our trustees not to run our football club but to oversee it by appropriate governance and safeguard its future. Without wishing to be melodramatic recent results and reducing attendances ought to set alarm bells for urgent action. Trustees cannot stand on the sidelines, put their fingers in their ears, cross their fingers and hope the problems sort themselves out. WE are now on our financial uppers and only a fool would deny otherwise. Without a fairy godmother putting in mystery investment or another club making a silly offer in January this club will make a six figure loss this season.

How do I come to this startling conclusion? I have no involvement in the club yet the clubs budgeting process is said to be based on guestimates at the start of the season of what expected attendances are likely to be per game. Last season they got this pretty much spot on. Our gates are starting to plummet and are probably already around 500 below what would be anticipated. Average that loss (5k a game) out over a season and you have already reached a £100,000 deficit. OK that may be a bit crude and simplistic but a team in a trough doesn't tend to benefit from anticipated matchday income across all other areas including catering, programmes, hospitality etc. Couple this with reduced income from sponsorship (almost inevitable), no income from cup matches and suddenly losses are escalating against budget.

We also have three senior players not in action (Gill, Docherty and Oakley) who are suspect are taking up a sizeable chunk of the player budget thus meaning room for getting someone in to energise the team is negligible.

If trustees are being told that the Brazil trip will ride to the rescue I say think again. If you aren't asking questions of the Club Board why aren't you? You should be demanding an urgent meeting about how this deficit is to be tackled and soon. Unpalatable action will be needed but please do it now while there is still time. For example, get all players not involved in the matchday squad out on loan, put players like Chamberlain out of their misery and release them, accept that the chances of promotion are over and get the high earners off the payroll such as Alan Gow. Even if we get no fee we will save a big chunk on his wages. Don't get me wrong I love to watch Gow but I would rather have a team to support without huge debts. All directors fees must be stopped immediately whilst we are running at such a deficit. All other non-essential staff at the club should be looked at.

I would like to know that Trustees realise the financial crap we are in and do something about it.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
MESSAGE FOR TRUSTEES

Without a fairy godmother putting in mystery investment or another club making a silly offer in January this club will make a six figure loss this season.
I don't disagree with anything in your post Fred. In fact some of us have been boringly harping on about this very point for some time, with few taking our concerns seriously.

I would just point you that we were already making a 6 figure loss at the time of the last published accounts in May 2012. It ain't getting any better.

Grecian1966

I don't disagree with anything in your post Fred. In fact some of us have been boringly harping on about this very point for some time, with few taking our concerns seriously.

I would just point you that we were already making a 6 figure loss at the time of the last published accounts in May 2012. It ain't getting any better.
Pete, you are correct but that loss was made whilst gate income was about where it was expected to be. Given we will be around £100,000 down on gate income alone I think the losses will be significantly higher than anything previously. This cannot be sustained by a Trust run club who don't have access to money. Something will break (probably Trust ownership) without immediate action. If Trustees fail to act they will have to collectively explain their failure to act.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fred/tony,

Just a quick question - how do you know we are 500 below per game?

I don't know the official estimates for this season - and am guessing you don't either.

Grecian1966

Fred/tony,

Just a quick question - how do you know we are 500 below per game?

I don't know the official estimates for this season - and am guessing you don't either.
Of course I'm making an educated guess NG I said as much in my post. None of us are naïve enough to think that we are hitting our gate figures therefore why shouldn't we be on course to make losses?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fred,

I'm sure your post is realistic. The problem is that the financial information available to all is way out of date, and the situation has further deteriorated since the accounts to 31st May 2012 were published. These showed a net current liability situation which must surely have only got worse in the intervening period? The accounts to 31st May 2013 (yet to be deposited at Co. House) will show another large addition to the accumulated deficit. Like you, I predict that the current season's accounts will be even worse.

Where is the action plan to arrest the situation?

hatch4england

Like many things set up by idealists, the club seems to have suffered from a lack of focus on its primary objective, over-bureaucratization, lack of acumen, lack of accountability and the pursuit of unattainable goals.

It is in my view, a failed project which is in need of radical overhaul. I suspect an administrator (which seems to be the way iti is going) will radically prune staffing and slaughter a lot of sacred cows.

What really astonishes me is the appalling complacency that accompanies the drift. The club's financial performance under Trust ownership has been very poor and in the absence of significant inward transfer income (an, as usual ythe minimum possible income from the Cups), is likely to be dire.

On a more practical note, I have decided, after 32 years, not to renew my season ticket, subject to the hope that there will be some significant change in the modus operandi of the organisation.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
But we are the richest club in the country (copyright, Tagg 2013)

Cygnus

As well as the falling attendances, I was in Hospitality yesterday, which was very quiet and Alan Gow was presented with his Man of the Match award in a virtually empty room. I also noticed going to my seat that two Executive boxes were empty as well, so the Commercial income must be falling too and without some wins at home it is only going to get worse.

Talking to one of the main sponsors after the game, he mentioned that if things didn't improve on and off the field soon, he would be seriously considering moving his sponsorship money to the likes of the Chiefs next season. Hearing this along with the already falling commercial income and attendances shows financially we are heading for a dire situation!

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately Freddo, the majority on here will refuse to believe it. Tone will be along demanding to know how you know the figures etc.

Some of us saw all this a long time ago but it'll only get worse yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.