• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mansfield Town vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

Positive spin

Moxey, the error aside, was excellent yesterday. Constantly picking the right pass down the left where we were a real threat. Always in the right place defensively. I think he's having a great season so far.
I was expecting big things from Moxey when he signed last season bearing in mind the level he had been playing at.

I thought he was OK last season and this season we had the hand ball giving away a penalty, failure to control the ball leading to a goal at home and his involvement in Mansfield’s goal yesterday.

Not therefore what so far I would call a great season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You Tube highlights

[video=youtube;1koArTBHoDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koArTBHoDc[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koArTBHoDc

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pym was really unlucky with their goal. He did so well to get down to the original effort but couldnt get enough on it to push the ball wide enough to avoid them getting a follow up tap-in. Olejnik looked slimmed down, but those old judgement problems still prevail in a big way! How the hell that ball got past him at that angle for our second goal - god knows! Then he stayed glued to his line for the cross that led to us hitting the upright! I'm glad now that we offloaded him.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pym was really unlucky with their goal. He did so well to get down to the original effort but couldnt get enough on it to push the ball wide enough to avoid them getting a follow up tap-in. Olejnik looked slimmed down, but those old judgement problems still prevail in a big way! How the hell that ball got past him at that angle for our second goal - god knows! Then he stayed glued to his line for the cross that led to us hitting the upright! I'm glad now that we offloaded him.
Its just started snowing outside :S

Grecian2K

And the Met Office has officially announced that hell has frozen over.

Banksy

Merry Christmas one and all , Uncle Pete's praising Tiny Pym.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A couple of things from yesterday. Deano drawing a soft foul from of their attackers to break up a Mansfield attack.

It was shown on the Sky highlights but not on the You Tube version, nut towards the end Stockley has several defenders looking after him at a corner, but as the cross came in he had mst of the 6 yard box to himself, but sadly unable to get enough on the ball to get a goal to celebrate his birthday.

PeteUSA

Merry Christmas one and all , Uncle Pete's praising Tiny Pym.
Thats quite funny actually! I hope the nick-name doesnt stick though! I'm bound to get the blame! (tmi)

whiff

I was expecting big things from Moxey when he signed last season bearing in mind the level he had been playing at.

I thought he was OK last season and this season we had the hand ball giving away a penalty, failure to control the ball leading to a goal at home and his involvement in Mansfield’s goal yesterday.

Not therefore what so far I would call a great season
To which can be added the ridiculous rabona kick after the whistle had gone to earn the first booking at MK and a booking for, I believe, dissent yesterday. I think Deano is the only player in the current squad who Matt Taylor played with so just wonder how that is affecting their relationship.

Terryhall

Had some time to sleep on it and reflect on the game before posting here. Most of what I would have said has already been covered, but some parts are worth repeating, namely

- what a strike from Deano on his bad foot!
- the ref had an absolute nightmare, must have been at least three throw-ins given the wrong way not to mention all the fouls he either let go or didn't see. Probably one of those where both sides felt he was "against them" but even trying to be objective I still feel like he gave more bad decisions in their favour (including 9 minutes added time - 2 in the first half, 6 in the second which ended up being 7 before he blew the whistle. God know where he found that from.)
- after the game Matt Taylor said we had shown the "fine art of defending" - if so I didn't see it, it felt more like panic defending where we rode our luck in places.

Overall a good win away at a probably promotion rival, but it was far from comfortable.