• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thank you for starting an interesting thread which did not turn into a 'Caldwell Out' slogan fest, but instead produced an interesting discussion. My modest contribution is to say that I very much like the idea of a fan-owned club, and it has obviously turned out well. I would like ECFC to emphasise our distinctiveness with, for example, making our kit traditional/different, or absolutely refusing to time-waste when we are leading/hanging on for a draw. Does it really help us in an era when time is correctly added on? We just get yellow cards. I want us to be the club that everyone wants to do well bar the team they have always supported. I was proud when under Tisdale we often featured high in Fair Play leagues. And I want us to do the right thing: Jevani being an example.

To be sportsmanlike, to be polite and respectful to referees, to not kick the ball away or encroach on throw-ins or time waste, or feign injury, is not a sign of softness or weakness. Its exactly the opposite - it shows strength and collective team confidence.

I am now getting really fanciful: a fan owned ECFC could be revolutionary if it just stopped adopting all the annoying habits of modern football.

When we score, let's rush to get the ball back to the centre spot irrespective of the score line. Think of the impact on the opposition if we did that every time.

And please, please don't 'hang on', if we are a goal up at half time. It doesn't work.

Finally, has anyone considered that a Sir Jim Ratcliffe might get more fun and PR benefit out of putting £10 million as a gift to ECFC than a billion or two into Man U? We should invite super wealthy individuals to just donate to a very special and distinctive club rather than 'invest'. We could build a beautiful Craven Cottage in the Jungle triangle as a 'thank you'.

All football clubs are very much the same. We should embrace distinctiveness in everything we do, including our style of play, and make that the ECFC 'brand'/identity. Not shout it from the rooftops, no 'hype', ( that will alienate fans from other clubs ) but with subtlety and over time. Earn respect, and the reputation of being a 'proper' club, if that does not sound too 'Tisdale'. An ethos of 'doing the right thing'.

We are already at least halfway there. Which I think is why gates have held up so well in challenging times.

You are welcome to say I have gone mad.
How refreshing !

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thank you for starting an interesting thread which did not turn into a 'Caldwell Out' slogan fest, but instead produced an interesting discussion. My modest contribution is to say that I very much like the idea of a fan-owned club, and it has obviously turned out well. I would like ECFC to emphasise our distinctiveness with, for example, making our kit traditional/different, or absolutely refusing to time-waste when we are leading/hanging on for a draw. Does it really help us in an era when time is correctly added on? We just get yellow cards. I want us to be the club that everyone wants to do well bar the team they have always supported. I was proud when under Tisdale we often featured high in Fair Play leagues. And I want us to do the right thing: Jevani being an example.

To be sportsmanlike, to be polite and respectful to referees, to not kick the ball away or encroach on throw-ins or time waste, or feign injury, is not a sign of softness or weakness. Its exactly the opposite - it shows strength and collective team confidence.

I am now getting really fanciful: a fan owned ECFC could be revolutionary if it just stopped adopting all the annoying habits of modern football.

When we score, let's rush to get the ball back to the centre spot irrespective of the score line. Think of the impact on the opposition if we did that every time.

And please, please don't 'hang on', if we are a goal up at half time. It doesn't work.

Finally, has anyone considered that a Sir Jim Ratcliffe might get more fun and PR benefit out of putting £10 million as a gift to ECFC than a billion or two into Man U? We should invite super wealthy individuals to just donate to a very special and distinctive club rather than 'invest'. We could build a beautiful Craven Cottage in the Jungle triangle as a 'thank you'.

All football clubs are very much the same. We should embrace distinctiveness in everything we do, including our style of play, and make that the ECFC 'brand'/identity. Not shout it from the rooftops, no 'hype', ( that will alienate fans from other clubs ) but with subtlety and over time. Earn respect, and the reputation of being a 'proper' club, if that does not sound too 'Tisdale'. An ethos of 'doing the right thing'.

We are already at least halfway there. Which I think is why gates have held up so well in challenging times.

You are welcome to say I have gone mad.
Good luck with that, Sid. After the 'proper chaps' era far too many are relishing the emergence of 'shithousery' and the dark arts. Some even aspire to a manager's revolving door just like what everyone else does ! Yep, good luck, Sid. :D

Antony Moxey

Some even aspire to a manager's revolving door just like what everyone else does !
Who’s that then? Stop making nonsense up.

Grecian Max

Good luck with that, Sid. After the 'proper chaps' era far too many are relishing the emergence of 'shithousery' and the dark arts. Some even aspire to a manager's revolving door just like what everyone else does ! Yep, good luck, Sid. :D
So you don’t like GC’s antics then?

elginCity

Who’s that then? Stop making nonsense up.
You must have missed the emoji.

elginCity

So you don’t like GC’s antics then?
Prefer Sid’s idealism !

Mid Devon Grecian

Prefer Sid’s idealism !
Fantasy over reality? I guess that sums up some City fans

Alistair20000

Could Housing Associations Be the Next Big Privatisation?

David Treharne

I started this thread mainly because of a quote from Alex Inglethorpe at the end of his tenure with Exeter City,(though to be fair is was written retrospectively) He wrote:

" Untimately to be successful I think you've got to enjoy watching your team play. I got to the stage where I didn't necessarily feel that. Of course you're proud of the effort and feel great after wins, but I felt like I was starting to learn just through mistakes, which is a dangerous place to be"

I'll just leave that out there.

Grecian Max

I started this thread mainly because of a quote from Alex Inglethorpe at the end of his tenure with Exeter City,(though to be fair is was written retrospectively) He wrote:

" Untimately to be successful I think you've got to enjoy watching your team play. I got to the stage where I didn't necessarily feel that. Of course you're proud of the effort and feel great after wins, but I felt like I was starting to learn just through mistakes, which is a dangerous place to be"

I'll just leave that out there.
I’d never seen this before, really interesting quote

Puts into perspective where his head was at when he left - certainly the football wasn’t a great watch