• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Macclesfield v Exeter City Matchday Thread..

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The full law changes come into effect on 1st June but the updated version of the Laws of the Game has not yet been published.

However IFAB have published the changes

http://theifab.com/document/for-football-bodies

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

Dropped ball
Laws 8 & 9
Changes
•If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper
•If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of
the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch
•In all cases, all the other players (of both teams) must be at least 4m (4.5yds) away
•If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal,
team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded
Explanation
• The current dropped ball procedure often leads to a ‘manufactured’ restart which is
‘exploited’ unfairly (e.g. kicking the ball out for a throw-in deep in the opponents’
half) or an aggressive confrontation. Returning the ball to the team that last played
it restores what was ‘lost’ when play was stopped, except in the penalty area
where it is simpler to return the ball to the goalkeeper. To prevent that team gaining
an unfair advantage, all players of both teams, except the player receiving the ball,
must be at least 4m (4.5 yds) away.
•It can be very unfair if a team gains an advantage or scores a goal because the ball
has hit a match official, especially the referee.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does this only apply to the defending side? I can foresee all sorts of problems around attackers deliberately obstructing goal kicks if not!

Agreed re: interpreting the laws as they are now.
Opponents must stay outside the area until the kick is taken, but can then challenge for the ball. So if the GK passes it to a defender, they can be challenged.

Goal kick
Law 16
Changes
• The ball is in play once the kick is taken; it can be played before leaving the penalty
area
Explanation
The experiment that at a goal kick the ball is in play once it is kicked, and does not
have to leave the penalty area, has created a faster and more dynamic/constructive
restart to the game. It has reduced the time ‘lost/wasted’ including stopping the tactic
of ‘wasting’ time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the
penalty area knowing that all that will happen is the goal kick will be retaken.
Opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers - makes sense.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Despite conceding all 6 points to Macclesfield this season, if we are both in L2 next season I'd much prefer a trip to Macclesfield than to Yeovil. A far better away day than Yeovil, would be nice to do on a Saturday though.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Despite conceding all 6 points to Macclesfield this season, if we are both in L2 next season I'd much prefer a trip to Macclesfield than to Yeovil. A far better away day than Yeovil, would be nice to do on a Saturday though.
I'd rather a game where I can get back home by 6pm thanks very much.