• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

London Transport Question

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Ok here goes, I'm in London for two weekends, attending a level 4 personal training course at St Thomas' hospital, Westminster Bridge Road. Accommodation in London is either £4.3million a night, scabby hostels or bed-bug ridden hellholes, so I am commuting from a nice B+B in Ilford each morning/evening.

The main reason for that is I am driving up and they will park my car for free too, it's only £32 a night which is all I need to spend on a basic room and it's got 100% positive feedback from 46 reviews and so I'm not likely to get mugged, drugged, or bedbugged. It's also only 40mins to Westminster or Victoria tubes where I need to get to and there are trains from Ilford every 10mins so commuting won't be a problem.

Now here's the question

On the last day, the sunday, it will be an almighty ballache when I finish to commute 40mins the wrong way to Ilford to have to go right round the M25 (even though it will be a sunday night and no rush hour). I was toying with pulling my arse out of bed early-early on the sunday morning and driving round to west london to a tube station with free parking all day and get the tube back in to central London for my course. That way, I just do the return leg on the way out, dodging all the M25 and cutting about an hour and half of my travel time home.

Does anyone have a list of tube stations ideally west london or west-central london with free parking all day? I'm guessing congestion tax still doesn't apply at weekends so driving to a more central station wouldn't be a problem?

Thanks

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why did you choose to get a B&B in Essex rather than say Uxbridge?

Jaffacake

Poultice

You don't have to go out west, you can park for nowt most places Up Lundin on a Sunday.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Why did you choose to get a B&B in Essex rather than say Uxbridge?
Cost mate. Basically. Everywhere I found that end of the woods was either out of my price range or a sh*thole

Jaffacake - Thanks for the link, will check it out

Poults - Want somewhere on the way home really so somewhere near or west of Victoria would be preferred

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 507 bus stops right outside the hospital. Goes between Waterloo and Victoria. This might help on planning tube stations.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Usually plenty of parking around Osterley on a Sunday - right on the A4 so handy for a quick getaway out west.

Mr Jinx

Don't see why you had to stay all the way out there. Have you not heard of TravelLodge/Premier Inn, etc etc?

You can get something fairly decent for just short of £100 a night. Probably more that you'd pay out in Ilford, but much much less of a ballache.

Grecian2K

Don't see why you had to stay all the way out there. Have you not heard of TravelLodge/Premier Inn, etc etc?

You can get something fairly decent for just short of £100 a night. Probably more that you'd pay out in Ilford, but much much less of a ballache.
Prices out around Ilford/Romford way have been pretty high for the last year or so, due to the demand for accomodation for contractors woking on the Olympic site!

Ashford Grecian

Usually plenty of parking around Osterley on a Sunday - right on the A4 so handy for a quick getaway out west.
That would be my shout, you don't have to use the station car park roads nearby would suffice although I don't think its too pricey...