• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Local link to World Cup 2010

Congratulations are due to Exeter Assistant Referee Mike Mullarkey who will be running the line to Howard Webb at the World Cup in South Africa this summer. Nice to see someone from this part of the world going so far up the refereeing ladder!

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: World Cup 2010

Only a few years ago he was the 4th official at SJP quite regularly, and now this. Well done Sir!

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

Congrats to the chap, I remember him 4th official-ing at SJP too. Although he'll have to be careful with his decisions or players will be forced to shout "Oi, what's all this Mullarky". Boom chuffin boom

mammooman

Remember him well as our weekly forth official. Whether or not he's from the Exeter area I'm unsure about (is he allowed to be from the same area as one of the teams?) I know he was also a main referee in the Yorkshire area.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster

The down side of that is that Mike has probably got as high as he can go, as a Class One Referee. This happened with Terry Atkins many years ago, when he was considered the best in Devon. He hoped to become a Football League Referee, and didnt quite make it. He was given the linesmans job by FIFA at a big Europian Match, as recompense, following which he retired.

That was a long time ago, and things might have changed. Terry was knocking on a bit, whereas Mike Mullarky could still have time on his side.

Its an hell of an honor though, particularly joining Howard Webb, who is regarded by many as one of the worlds best.

PeteUSA

Remember him well as our weekly forth official. Whether or not he's from the Exeter area I'm unsure about (is he allowed to be from the same area as one of the teams?
Mike and his father were/are both Devon FA Class One Officials.

Following the second point about 4th officials, I was 4th official for City v Argyle in the mid 70's, and I'm Exeter born and bred. That was at a time though when the referee, if injured, was replaced by the senior linesman. I would have only have replaced that linesman.

TOP_CITY_FAN

Remember him well as our weekly forth official. Whether or not he's from the Exeter area I'm unsure about (is he allowed to be from the same area as one of the teams?) I know he was also a main referee in the Yorkshire area.
The referee at the Yeovil away game, was from just outside Yeovil.

Woodsy

That was at a time though when the referee, if injured, was replaced by the senior linesman. I would have only have replaced that linesman.
Isn't that still the case? As last night in the Coventry v Forest game, when the ref was injured, he was replaced by the most senior official, which was the lineswomen. Or do you mean back in those days that the 4th official could never come on and be the referee?

oldbutwise

A bit off point but hey, anyone remember that time a 4th official was ill or something and a qualified ref had to be picked out from spectating.

PeteUSA

A bit off point but hey, anyone remember that time a 4th official was ill or something and a qualified ref had to be picked out from spectating.

The qualified ref was Bill Dimond, who was on the staff of Exeter City, as well as being a referee at local level. There was no designated 4th official until the mid 70's. Bill came out from the crowd at SJP to take over the line, after the official linesman had to take on the refereeing duty. Tragically the match referee Jim Finn, collapsed and died during our game.

Another famous example of volunteer officials from the crowd was about 30 years ago, when Jimmy Hill (of Match of the Day fame) came on to run the line under similar circumstances.

EDIT: Woodsy, in those days the replacement linesman would only be called into action if the most senior had to take over the whistle. He/She certainly wouldnt come out of the crowd to referee.

Last edited: