• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Loan:Perm ratio

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's a dilemma then. Given how things are shaping up, do you wish we'd pushed GC a bit to make more signings on 2-3 year deals? Double-edged sword, isn't it. Only thing worse than plummeting into league two with a load of loanees and short term contractors would be plummeting into league two with a load of players on handsome 3 year contracts that whoever comes in next can't shift.
Nope. I think we should have sought cheaper players, with plentiful lower league experience, over Premier League/ex Premier League loanees and short term contract with high salary expectations.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope. I think we should have sought cheaper players, with plentiful lower league experience, over Premier League/ex Premier League loanees and short term contract with high salary expectations.
No I get it. It's contributed to how badly things have gone. But if you were to find yourself in the position we're in, at least we've not accumulated too much deadwood.

Number13

You need a mix. I think that the loans of Sinisalo and Trevett have worked well and Rankine has something about him. They do seem to be bothered about our season and our club. Then youve got the jokes like Muskwe who we should just be sending back ASAP

Carroll looked good early on and 1 year is fine as it was for McDonald last year

The ones that worry me are the likes of Jules, Scott and Fitzwater who have longer deals and are dreadful - when Kite and Hartridge leave in the summer, we'll have those three in L2 in midtable

We also need to go back to what we did well under Tis and sign some ex-Prem youngsters who can give us good mileage for relatively little money but will care as we are the only way they get their careers back on track. I'm thinking Dunne, TAH, Golbourne etc

Where I worry is that next season I see us with none of our own youth in the team, no brought in youngsters full of promise and desire and a team full of jounreymen lower league dross. It'll be like the 90s all over again

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
You need a mix. I think that the loans of Sinisalo and Trevett have worked well and Rankine has something about him. They do seem to be bothered about our season and our club. Then youve got the jokes like Muskwe who we should just be sending back ASAP

Carroll looked good early on and 1 year is fine as it was for McDonald last year

The ones that worry me are the likes of Jules, Scott and Fitzwater who have longer deals and are dreadful - when Kite and Hartridge leave in the summer, we'll have those three in L2 in midtable

We also need to go back to what we did well under Tis and sign some ex-Prem youngsters who can give us good mileage for relatively little money but will care as we are the only way they get their careers back on track. I'm thinking Dunne, TAH, Golbourne etc

Where I worry is that next season I see us with none of our own youth in the team, no brought in youngsters full of promise and desire and a team full of jounreymen lower league dross. It'll be like the 90s all over again
I would love to know what questions Gary has on his questionnaire for new recruits.

An irrational fear of Scoring and keeping clean sheets? Y

You're in.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm still concerned by this. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, we'll have another epic rebuild to do in the summer.

Perhaps it's just the way it is these days, but I really hope GC can start taking a more long term approach soon.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm still concerned by this. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, we'll have another epic rebuild to do in the summer.

Perhaps it's just the way it is these days, but I really hope GC can start taking a more long term approach soon.
I think it was inevitable this season when we lost so many of our best players in one go. You cant just go out and buy all the players you want in one or even two windows but at the same time have to get a competitive team on the pitch. Eisa and Woods both have excellent pedigrees for our level but neither were available as permanants. Our objective is to stay up first and foremost rather than have an extra two players on permanant contracts starting in League Two imo

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

I understand the concern but if we can persuade some of our soon-to-be out-of-contract players to stay then the situation will start to look a bit different. Zak Jules and Tom Carroll seem to be happy here so hopefully there's a good chance they will sign new contracts. And, if some our younger players can push on and look like they are ready to start challenging for the first team that will also relieve some of the pressure to have to sign lots of new players in the summer.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

I understand the concern but if we can persuade some of our soon-to-be out-of-contract players to stay then the situation will start to look a bit different. Zak Jules and Tom Carroll seem to be happy here so hopefully there's a good chance they will sign new contracts. And, if some our younger players can push on and look like they are ready to start challenging for the first team that will also relieve some of the pressure to have to sign lots of new players in the summer.
As I understand it we already have an option on Jules for next season.
So if we consider that’s he’s been sufficiently useful this season we’ll just trigger it.
I suppose we could do that and then add another option on top to incentivise him to keep up the good work, if we see him being with us for two further years.

scottus86

thought Loan-Perm Ratio was a new signing.
I thought it was the option to pay off your nan's perm in installments.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's an issue again. This summer we'll have to replace four first choice loanees. Sinisalo,Rankine, Harris ,Woods.

FWIW I guess we'll be highly dependent on loans for the firstXI again next season.