• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Living Wage at ECFC?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
But if it related to nobody at ECFC then it's totally irrelevant - to EXEWEB - surely?
That's akin to saying the club needn't have a safeguarding policy coz no-ones in danger. As Bill has said, you're spectacularly missing the point!

Andy_H

We'll just file that one in the 'massively missing the point whilst failing to grasp what the discussion is about' folder shall we!
This is about a commitment from the club to pay the living wage. We don't need to know any individual employee's employment details, just that everyone is being paid the "real living wage". An amount calculated to be the minimum necessary to meet basic living expenses. It's clear you find someone not really having enough to live on as less important than the club facing any kind of criticism.
And the band played on eh!
And i thought Exeweb was about ECFC related subjects and not national, social indifference. Ah well you live and learn! Oh and by the way your second from last sentence is not relevant, you have no idea what my social feelings are, and you'd possibly be surprised if you knew. Don't make derisory comments about people you know absolutely nothing about, they might come back to bite you one day.

Andy_H

That's akin to saying the club needn't have a safeguarding policy coz no-ones in danger. As Bill has said, you're spectacularly missing the point!
But you're wrong because, ECFC does have to have a Safeguarding policy because we 'employ' under 18s and that is the law. Safeguarding is about preventing under age persons from being in danger.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
But you're wrong because, ECFC does have to have a Safeguarding policy because we 'employ' under 18s and that is the law. Safeguarding is about preventing under age persons from being in danger.
The issue here is that some of us think the club has moral as well as legal obligations.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think the club and Trust absolutely get this and am not meaning to suggest otherwise.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it's safe to say, that our football club, alongside any professional club in the land can afford to pay the living wage for all employees, including those under 23.

Red Bill

Just to clarify what this discussion originally related to for those who may not know, i.e. "the Living wage"
This was a costed and calculated amount worked out by an independent organisation to be the bare minimum wage necessary for someone to essentially pay their bills to live. It was an amount above then and now above the minimum wage, which at that time was the same for all regardless of age. This was an extremely popular proposal and had a lot of popular support. The Tories in their usual keeness to look popular wanted to jump on this but didn't want to actually agree to up the minimum wage, so employed their usual smoke and mirrors to make it look like they were responding. So they split the minimum wage in two setting one rate for those under 23 that they called the minimum wage (this was less than the old minimum wage) and another rate for over 23s that they cunningly called the National Living wage, which was still well below the proposed living wage, in an attempt to hoodwink people (successfully it seems) into thinking they had actually adopted the very popular proposal.
So the living wage referred to in the thread title is not the "National Living wage", but what was restyled as the Real Living wage which is currently about £9.50. And this is the amount I believe the club should be committing to, not £8.91.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just to clarify what this discussion originally related to for those who may not know, i.e. "the Living wage"
This was a costed and calculated amount worked out by an independent organisation to be the bare minimum wage necessary for someone to essentially pay their bills to live. It was an amount above then and now above the minimum wage, which at that time was the same for all regardless of age. This was an extremely popular proposal and had a lot of popular support. The Tories in their usual keeness to look popular wanted to jump on this but didn't want to actually agree to up the minimum wage, so employed their usual smoke and mirrors to make it look like they were responding. So they split the minimum wage in two setting one rate for those under 23 that they called the minimum wage (this was less than the old minimum wage) and another rate for over 23s that they cunningly called the National Living wage, which was still well below the proposed living wage, in an attempt to hoodwink people (successfully it seems) into thinking they had actually adopted the very popular proposal.
So the living wage referred to in the thread title is not the "National Living wage", but what was restyled as the Real Living wage which is currently about £9.50. And this is the amount I believe the club should be committing to, not £8.91.
I can never understand how age comes into it. A 22 year old doesn't get a discount on milk or bread in a shop or their electricity bill.

Red Bill

I can never understand how age comes into it. A 22 year old doesn't get a discount on milk or bread in a shop or their electricity bill.
I suppose it fit into Tory "othering" and the idea that some are less worthy and their needs don't matter.